Making a compost bin out of a wheelie bin

• 6 Replies

ollie.d

Making a compost bin out of a wheelie bin
« on: May 09, 2011, 13:00 »
Hi all, I'm new to the forum so will introduce myself first. I'm Ollie, 45 and have had my first allotment for 2 months now. I'm wanting to build a compost bin and have acquired a wheelie bin from a council worker friend that's slightly damage (the bin, not the friend!). I've been racking my brains as to what use I can put it too and thought it would make a good compost bin with a bit of mods.  What are your thoughts and suggestions on how to do this please from someone who hasn't a clue and has never composted before.

Kind regards, ollie.  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Making a compost bin out of a wheelie bin
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 13:16 »
Hi Ollie and welcome! :D I've moved your post to the design & construction board so that the expert designers can see it and give you loads of good advice. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 13:41 »
Hi Ollie!   :)

Ermm, I'm more of a mad inventor than an expert designer, but I think a good-sized wheely-bin is already of sufficiently good design to be used as a compost bin without much work.

Main problem if yours tapers towards the base is getting the compost out; even if you cut most of the bottom out (leaving an inch all round the edge to retain some of the structural rigidity) you will find it almost impossible to get the stuff out "sand-pie" style!

The good news is that the handles and wheels would make it relatively easy to upend to empty it, in which case you may as well leave the base in place but drill a series of hole in the bottom (no more than 3/8";  a flat wood-boring bit works well on plastic.)

That would keep rats out, let excess water drain, but allow worms to get in and help the composting process.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 14:37 »
i think i'd chop it in 2 or 3 and use it as planters..be great for carrots maybe.  ;)

2 of them would of course be bottomless 
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

ollie.d

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 15:24 »
Thanks for the advice guys  :)if I drill holes in the bottom and sides do I have to keep turning the compost?

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 15:47 »
Yes, compost decomposes better if its turned several times a season.

Can you use your wheelie bin as a water butt? Many do.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 16:11 »
Thanks for the advice guys  :)if I drill holes in the bottom and sides do I have to keep turning the compost?

You can buy compost "stirrers" which have a long handle and collapsible "V" wings at the business end; you push it down into the compost and then lift the stuff from near the bottom towards the top (they're not that easy to use but still a lot easier than emptying it all out and shovelling it all back in again!)

xx
Making a compost 'bin' out of old tyres ... is it possible ?

Started by wbmkk on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post September 28, 2013, 21:37
by Trillium
xx
wheelie bin grass box . . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 23:07
by daveinmanc
xx
making a pond

Started by Annen on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 00:38
by Annen
xx
Making Paths

Started by WendysLot on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 09:54
by WendysLot

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 29 queries.