Shading

• 6 Replies

Lardman

Shading
« on: April 22, 2011, 14:08 »
Far too HOT. 41 degrees with everything open and debris netting over.

I'm looking for a better solution before everything including me cooks. I've seen people recommend Nixol - The only place I can find it is TwoWest and they want 5 quid delivery, which I think is a little too much on an £8 item !

Has anyone seen it anywhere else ?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Shading
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 14:16 »
A quick Google suggests that Nixol is a Two Wests product......
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

julietmaria

• http://www.thewashablenappy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 00:26 »
Hi, it looks good, but do you have to paint your whole greenhouse with it or just the sides that get direct sunlight?  My greenhouse is so hot and I went into our local hardware store and asked for some shade paint for it, but could not bring myslef to buy it as don't like the idea my greenhouse being that whiteish colour all the time.  This nixol seems to change with the weather and become clear in duller weather which in my eyes is better.  The shade paint was £5 and you got 4 sachets.  So much cheaper than the nixol but I wonder if it lasts a few seasons as my greenhouse is small 6ft by 4 foot.  And if you don't have to paint the whole thing maybe it would last a few years?  I wonder also if there are any similar but cheaper options.  I look forward to any other more knowledgable replies :)
A flower cannot blossom without sunshine nor a garden without love

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 22:12 »
the whitish colour is because white reflects heat/light.paint the south facing walls and roof only .....leave the doors open and any vents you have.
dilute white emulsion by 100% paint it on , hose it off with a soft yard brush in spring :mellow:
still alive /............

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 21:18 »
Did you paint the shading on the inside or the outside of the greenhouse? Silly question I know but to me logic says inside because the instructions say you can wipe it off with a damp cloth so if it's painted on the outside surely it can be washed off by the rain over time. I only ask this because I read in a magazine recently it said to paint it on the outside

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 21:21 »
You paint it on the outside and the rain doesn't wash it away.  I used it last year and need a new application this year.  It's still on the glass, but has faded somewhat.
Cheese makes everything better.

theakston_uk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 10:12 »
Cheers Ice

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 29 queries.