What maketh a good mower - and how much should I look to spend?

• 11 Replies

boogaloo

Hi folks

I've always had a bashed up old flymo for mowing the lawn, but the time's come to get a petrol, I think. It's hard to get the mower cable out to the front garden, and I'm also keen on getting a roller mower. However I'm really not sure at all where to start. A couple of practical points:

- My garden's not huge so I don't need anything industrial strength - only takes me 20 minutes or so to mow it.
- I'd need to keep the mower in a fairly small shed, so a compact one's ideal.

Looking around at garden centres there seems to be a huge range of costs, from £99 to £599. Is there any practical reason for me to spend much? I have a budget of £200 in my head, however I also do want something that's well built and will last for many years to come.

Any advice?

Boog

boogaloo

Thanks for moving - completely missed this subforum!

Lardman

Screwfix have some deals on mountfields at the moment. I think I remember the petrol heads not hating them too much.

smud6ie

I don't know what your buget would stretch to  but you won't go far wrong with a 16" Honda izy,push model.
My Son uses them between graves and other small areas when contracting, they pick up in the wet and have been faultless for nearly 8 years.
smud6ie
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 18:17 by smud6ie »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
I can second the good report on the Honda IZY machines, we have the 18 inch self-propelled model. They're not cheap but they are good and just keep going.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Gwiz

I'm not too sure about the Izzy. They used to be a lot better than they are now.
If you want a roller mower then have a look at the hayter spirit. It's a 16" cut. That's about as small as your going to get (in a rotary) with a roller.
I wouldn't buy a Mountfield, used to be great but are now very "EL-cheapo" (We wouldn't sell them either.)

olde9856

Cant go wrong with a Hayter. Had one for over 20 years and still going strong with just basic lookingafter

smud6ie

AHH! I see, or more like didn't see  :blush: "and I'm also keen on getting a roller mower" so not an IZY then if you need to stripe the snow ;) :)
smud6ie

Flatcat

The older Mountfields did indeed use to be great. We have an old Mountfield Empress that my Dad bought new in the 90's and that was an amazing machine (although it has sat unused in the shed for the past few years ::) )

we are currently using a 2006 Mountfield, and the build quality is absolutely appalling. the wheels are all over the place (we've had to repair them numerous times) So don't go for a Mountfield.

Hayters are good, although Ive always heard (and experienced myself) that most Hayters seem to have a problem with the grass chutes at the back getting clogged up when the grass is a bit damp

Gwiz

Hayters are good, although Ive always heard (and experienced myself) that most Hayters seem to have a problem with the grass chutes at the back getting clogged up when the grass is a bit damp

True, true, but this usually is only a problem at the very beginning of the season and at the very end when the grass is a bit longer and there is plenty of "Damp" around, it's not a problem that is solely on the Hayter range either!
I've been using Hayter myself for many more years than I care to admit, and been selling/repairing them for about the same time. I'd have to say that I rate them far more than most other bits of kit around as they are basic machines that are built well.
I hope that now Torro own Hayter, they don't try to "Dumb them down" as happened to mountfield.
I have a Mountfield M4 at home that must be all of 25 years old at least. Still going strong.

boogaloo

Thanks a lot for the feedback all. Roller is not necessarily essential - I guess that's just how I think of a petrol mower after years of mowing my father's lawn with an old Hayter Harrier :)

Disappointed to hear that Mountfields are so poor. Have a fairly straightforward lawn, and was quite tempted by some of those offers on the screwfix site!

mower man

As already stated above, you cannot go wrong with a 16" Honda Izy

If you want a roller drive machine it will cost about £100.00 more than a push model

Now that Toro own Hayter the quality will remain, as toro have been the best mowers
in golf clubs for many years
You may be only one person in the world,  but you may also be the world to one person.

xx
Advice before I spend money on a cultivator please

Started by BussinSpain on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 01:51
by Otis
xx
Oil change - mower

Started by amc on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 19:55
by Lee G
xx
Mower Blade . . . .

Started by daveinmanc on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 18:32
by Gwiz
clip
My 'new' push mower

Started by vikingraider on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 28, 2024, 12:32
by vikingraider

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 35 queries.