Advice before I spend money on a cultivator please

• 10 Replies

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
I am thinking of buying an electric cultivator/tiller for my veggie garden.  Does anyone have any opinions on an "Andrew James Electric Cultivator"?  I have suffered with an injured back in the past (due to a horse riding accident) and I am hoping that this machine will turn over the soil and dig in the manure for me.
Now what shall I do today?

Maison Lammonite

Re: Advice before I spend money on a cultivator please
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:55 »
Hi

Not used one of these but 1000W (1.3Hp approx) dosnt look powerful enough to me, but depends how big your patch & how heavy the soil is really.

N

grinling

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 20:50 »
would vibration be a problem?

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 23:55 »
I tried a mantis tiller on ground that had been dug over, but which is damp and a bit heavy, and it nearly shook me to death.  I didn't like it at all, I felt as if my arms were being pulled out of their sockets.  It didn't hurt my back, but everywhere else was aching for the next 3 days. I went back to my azada and angled fork.
Apparently it is okay on ground that has already been rotavated!  :wacko: That was a petrol engine though not electric.
Anne

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:07 »
You're right about a Mantis being better on prepared ground, Annen. They take a long time to dig down on un-dug ground, or soggy soil as you describe, especially if there are weeds which get in the way!

But if you can dig first, clear the weeds, and manure the ground well, it will be much easier the first year, and the following year, it is a doddle, with a great tilth to sow or plant in!!

I can't handle anything larger than our small petrol Mantis these days, and there is also a 'method' involved, which involves a slightly different push/pull action than a straight rotavator 'walk'.

I think the Andrew James one is very similar, but I've never tried an electric one!

As for vibration, of course, it does wander about, but it is easily controllable - again, by not wrestling it, and letting it do all the work without stressing your arms and shoulders. That way, just keeping the thing upright is pretty much all you need to do! It is a bit of an art, and took me a few weeks to understand what it can do!

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 15:42 »
I bought a petrol generator and electric tiller two years ago. They are still in their boxes and have not used, as I have hand dug with a pick axe then fork, then double dug some beds and paths. The soil I now have in the beds is so easy to work it's un true.

Will I ever use the tiller?, I'm going to have too (if I want too or not) or the wife will remind me that it's another boys toy I have bought it and have never used it  ::) 

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 17:47 »
Effective depth of 22 cm according to Amazon.co.uk. I bet that's in loose soil as well... The blades in the picture don't look that sturdy.

What's your soil like?

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 08:41 »
Snoop - The new toy arrived yesterday.  Put it together myself in about 25mins.  It's quite heavy.  I have given it a spin round the garden this morning (before it gets too hot).  I think it is going to work for me.  There is obviously a technique which I will have to work on.  This morning I found that it chucked the soil back at me so I then turned round and chucked it back again!  My ground has only been hand dug (with a ladies border fork) in the past 4.5 years and was as hard as h*ll - just like the rest of our land.  My veggie soil is getting better (very slowly).  I also let the tiller dig a trench then shoved the blades into the trench to dig the harder stuff at the bottom.  I didn't force it - just let it do it's own thing.  What I really need now (just like the rest of Spain) is loads of rain to soften the soil to make tilling easier for the machine.  I will also use it to dig in the huge pile of horse manure that I have ready and waiting.  I must really think of a name for "IT".........................How about calling "IT" Tilly?  LOL!  I am a persistent little monkey - I WILL NOT BE BEATEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 09:39 »
Good to hear it is proving to be a good purchase. As Growster points out, every year it'll get easier to work the soil.

I fancy a small tiller too, but no chance of running an electric one (except off a generator, which would be yet another thing to lug around and listen to) so I've been looking at petrol-driven ones. Given the price of these things in Spain, I'll probably get one from the UK. At the moment, we have a larger one that Mr Snoop uses on my behalf, as I can't get it round corners very easily. But a smaller one would definitely make life easier for me.

Anyway, best of luck to you and Tilly. Happy growing.

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 13:21 »
Thanks Snoop.  Tilly came with a 10mtr cable but I had to use our rather long extension lead to reach the veggie garden.  Tilly is now back in my "girl cave" (aka my shed) until we have had some rain, or at least until autumn digging time anyway.

Otis

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 01:51 »
Instead of posting a new tend I am going to ask you what you think of the Honda 110 mini Tiller?

I was thinking about getting the Honda 110 Mini Tiller since they have a edger attachment.
Does all mini tiller handle  hard?

xx
Rotovator / cultivator advice?

Started by RagnarHairybreeks on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2020, 09:33
by jezza
xx
ALKO Cultivator MH350-4 Advice

Started by djr on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 17:04
by Gwiz
clip
Atco rotovator / cultivator repair advice

Started by mattyradar on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2017, 13:17
by mattyradar
xx
What maketh a good mower - and how much should I look to spend?

Started by boogaloo on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 20:59
by mower man

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.