Second hand wormery

• 4 Replies

pdblake

• Experienced Member
Second hand wormery
« on: June 14, 2013, 19:37 »
Just been given one of these:

http://www.originalorganics.co.uk/product/tow-the-original-wormery

Anyone know what I can revive it with? Seems they sell bedding, worms, treats, lime mix etc. I know I'll need worms, obviously, but is all that other stuff really necessary? Can't I start it off with some stuff from the bottom of the compost bin? Or do I need to trawl EBay? :D

Trillium

Re: Second hand wormery
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 20:42 »
You can give the worms kitchen scraps except any meat, dairy, onions or citrus which they cannot tolerate.

When you do feed them, don't overload the unit. Rather, add small amounts regularly so they can get through it. They dislike rotted veg and fruits and will skip those in favour of fresher items. Also, chop up items small and that helps them get through things faster.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 07:12 »
I get what to do with them once it's up and going, it's getting it started off. What bedding can I use etc, rather than buying an expensive startup kit?

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 20:04 »
No need for a startup kit. Shredded newspaper in long strips works fine, dampen it slightly but not so much that it's dripping soggy, and have at least 6" of it for the worms to hide in.

But the best type of worms for a wormery are either Red Wigglers or European Night Crawlers. The Reds are the most voracious eaters. If, and when, you have a surplus of worms, you can sell some as fishing bait and make a few extra bob.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 08:41 »
Well, I put shredded paper down as bedding, then six inches of compost from the bottom of a dalek bin, already full of worms, then put some kitchen waste in and topped with some wet paper. I read somewhere to leave them for a few weeks to get settled, so I've put them in a quiet corner and will leave them to it:)

xx
Wormery

Started by andyww2013 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post December 03, 2018, 10:16
by New shoot
xx
Has anyone got a wormery

Started by gillwrig on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 13:59
by StephenRowley
xx
Wormery

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post February 25, 2010, 15:49
by aelf
xx
Wormery and rats

Started by Ema on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2021, 21:27
by Ema

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 39 queries.