Dwarf French Beans

• 11 Replies

Elaine G

Dwarf French Beans
« on: March 17, 2019, 23:28 »
I've decided to try a dwarf French bean this year.
Does anyone have a favourite they they would like to recommend.

Thanks
Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: Dwarf French Beans
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 05:00 »
Its my 1st year growing them but Im trying tendergreen this year, a dwarf variety which grows to about 40cm. Full review on the link below >>>

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vegetable/frenchbeans/variety-tendergreen.php

lettice

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:19 »
I have grown Dwarf Purple Queen French beans for decades.
They are easy to grow, germinate in 7 days and are a great cropper. I grow all mine in pots around the plot.
They grow to about 18 inches high, they produce lots of tasty beans from July to early October, if you sow them in early May. The more you pick the more you get over the season, an important point to remember with French beans.
Do not worry about them being Purple, as soon as they hit the water when steaming/boiling they go green.

Another dwarf variety I have grown for a few years, is Sonesta (was introduced by the good 'pass the parcel' folk on here). It is a yellow podded bean with a waxy pod and superb tasting bean.  It needs good and regular checking for staking as the beans do cluster together more than other varieties and tips the plant over. Its an early sow in April as its germination and to build up a good plant to start with takes about 18-21 days. It crops July to early September.
As above I grow these in pots.

If you want a more traditional green French bean, try Opera, a quick good cropper, but treat it as I have described below with regular sowings to crop over a longer period. It gets to  18 inches high with a 12 inch wide spread. Would not recommend this for pots because of its spread.
Used to grow this as my French bean staple. But as I grow Cobra now (a climbing french bean) that is an amazing cropper, I have stopped growing Opera.
Sow this in May, June and July outside, it germinates in 7 days and crops from mid June to October with those regular sowings.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:39 by lettice »

jambop

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 08:35 »
Talisman are good giving a long bean and I have grown Slenderette from premier seeds which are a nice fleshy bean which are quite short both give good crops. This year for the first time I am growing some Italian white beans for drying should be interesting.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 08:36 »
we grow three varieties purple queen Stanley and tendergreen all cropped very well last year despite the dry season and all  freeze well

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 08:47 »
For an early crop I grow Speedy, and with regular picking and the occasional dose of tomato fertiliser the plants kept going most of last season. Nice slender, crisp green pods with excellent flavour
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 09:19 »
Purple Teepee for me as well :)

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 12:19 »
An old boy who used to crop the plot we had, (sob), would always grow any beans without poles.

Of course, they grew all squiggly, but he reckoned that they were a better veg for it!

I'm just wondering now, if a few 'Trail of Tears' beans grown like that might be an interesting addition in a corner where we don't really want to see poles...

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 12:47 »
If I sow any French beans outside they always turn up near the tip but those in my greenhouse don't and I haven't a clue why. Anyway, I'll see if I can get some Sonesta and put them in pots.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 14:26 »
I first grew Castandel the year before last, and it is an amazing French bean.  Huge crops of lovely flavoured beans, and it keeps going on for ever.   

Elaine G

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 22:51 »
Thank you very much for all your suggestions, it is much appreciated.
I have made a list, and am off to the garden centre tomorrow to see which ones I can find.

Elaine

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 07:09 »
I found tendergreen om the seed rack in sainsburys jf you decide to go for that.

clip
French dwarf beans

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 30, 2016, 19:33
by Yorkie
xx
French Dwarf beans

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 26, 2017, 13:11
by AnneB
xx
Dwarf French beans

Started by Chicken Pete on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 20:01
by JayG
xx
Dwarf French Beans

Started by HaggisWhisperer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 19:39
by Trillium

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 52 queries.