Leeks

• 18 Replies

lettice

Re: Leeks
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 11:00 »
I will just copy and paste what I said on here in January 2018, nothing has changed.

I sow my Leeks around April in an unheated greenhouse in 4 inch deep trays. They germinate in a few weeks.
My choice for many years has been Musselburgh.
At end May or first week of June I plant them out when they are about 6-8 inch tall.
Plant in rows, six inch between each row.
Use a dibber (well old cut down brush handle) to make a hole about 4 inches, as with the root the leek sits proud a good 2-4 inches above the soil. Make a hole every six inches.
Fill hole with water and drop the leek in (I do not trim my roots), then over the day keep topping the hole up with water, trying not to break the top edge so it does not become a muddy bath.
Grow them all around the plot but the majority in a raised bed. You can grow things between the leeks when they are growing like radish.
Nothing special compost wise, just a light dig over in the spring and work in lightly some of my homemade compost.
They prefer the soil to be firm or they flop over, so hence the light dig above.
My variety produces from late October through to March. They are tall plants and produce a good upright leek all of the same size.
Never get any problems at all with my leeks and nothing seems to want to bother it insect wise.
Here are some pics;
leek.jpg

AnneB

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 18:14 »
I put them in singly in a dibbed hole then water.   They start out all neat, then I lose patience if I have a lot and I am running out of time.  The rows get more haphazard at that point!   The leeks are usually fine though.

Longshanks

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 07:29 »
Excellent lettice. Just the end to end advice/experience I was looking for. I usually buy plants from shop, but want to grow from seed this year. I will do what you say, but will also start a few off now as I seem to quite a few packets of seeds.

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 07:31 »
One thing I forgot to mention, is that leeks love a liquid feed every now and then.

We used to give each row a big splosh of comfrey and nettle water, not worrying if it got in the folds of the plants, and usually we'd get leeks anything up to 2" diameter, with no 'forcing', or extra effort!

Saturday mornings were our chosen watering time, and the four beds of 60 plants all spent the weekend in smelly but comfortable conditions...

xx
leeks

Started by ron on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2007, 08:42
by Rob the rake
xx
leeks

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 06:53
by Growster...
xx
How big are your leeks?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2015, 17:26
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
should I pot on leeks

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 17:11
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 42 queries.