How do you plan your plot visit?

• 26 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
How do you plan your plot visit?
« on: March 02, 2019, 17:34 »
OK I admit to just going to potter sometimes and do what I feel, but spring is almost here and the 'To Do' list is a bit more pressing at the moment.

My focus is look after the overwintering stuff and get the ground ready for the first plantings.  Half the overwintering stuff is done and I know I have spuds and cabbage/greens to go in soon.  Today was therefore dedicated to digging over a space to move a big pop-up net tunnel onto ready for the greens, then starting on the area the spuds are lined up for.

There is a fruit cage that has been damaged by winter weather, but no fruit to protect yet.  There is also more digging to do, but that is for later crops, so dropped down the priority list.  It makes sense to me, but what does everyone else do?  Are you super organised and working through every scrap of ground methodically, or constantly playing catch up like me  :lol:

rowlandwells

Re: How do you plan your plot visit?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 17:58 »
constantly playing catch up like you New Shoot  :D I went down the allotments the other day to take a load of horse manure the lads where digging and getting ready to plant they said have you been on your holiday's cheeky s...….ds

there's plenty to do raised beds to cultivate land to plough strawberries  to move to a new bed raspberry's to cut back and that's without thinking about planting or sowing seed never mind the boss will sort it all out follow that rota ok dear :D

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 18:15 »
I usually have an idea of what the main job is when I get to the plot but often something else catches my eye.
I am quite keen on my plot and the other half wishes I kept the house as neat and tidy.
thing is its my plot and my pleasure so It doesn't matter too much what does or doesn't get done. There is always another day God willing!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 19:09 »
At the moment I go to dig.
I've marked out most of the beds I need to dig, so as long as it's not raining or too frozen, I dig.

However, now it's march I'm itching to get seeds in!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 19:34 »
I used to plan my visits meticulously, but now the plot is fully functioning, I have a vague idea of what needs doing and just pop down and do the jobs when the time & weather permit. Like today, I finally got round to tidying the shed and polytunnel as I'd just been dumping netting, tools and pots here there and everywhere since the end of last Summer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 19:45 »
Plan?????
tbh at home I always write a list, but don't often follow them. I also procrastinate a lot, so I'll decide maybe it would be best to do it tomorrow...
I bung everything I think I might need in my gardening trolley and head off to the plots,  I often find the very thing I need to do the first job is either 'somewhere' in the shed and I can't see it straight away - or more commonly in the shed at home  :lol: :lol: so do something else entirely.

It usually all gets done, but not necessarily following the plan it tooks me months, during the winter, to get just right :blush:

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 20:02 »
We all seem to be pretty much the same - no-one has a plan and sticks to it! Isn't that what allotmenteering is all about? I had a few glasses of red last night and went down to the Lottie with good intentions this morning. I cleared a few brassicas that were past it then had a sit down in the greenhouse, had a chat with a couple of plot neighbours then went home for some lunch. Not much done but still very pleasant. I think allotments have saved a lot of Marriages! Probably mine!!

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 20:36 »
Jobs are decided on what plants I am preparing for, for example I've dug over the onion bed but not planted it yet which I will do in a couple of weeks. Today all I did was empty one of my compost bins that was being used as a store, so I can start it off for this years compost.  It's all a bit of a vague idea of a plan that changes often  as soon as I get there. Just going with the flow....... :dry:
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 08:25 »
I am a butterfly brain when it comes to the plot, I do make a list but inevitably get distracted once there, as I sometimes don't get down in the week things have changed and need attention! I do have a longer term list and look at that to remind myself now an again.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 08:57 »
I try to plan two jobs, hope to do them and have time to do something else that pops up. This assumes however that nothing has fallen over or been attacked by pests since I saw it last, as if so, the other jobs move down the list

Yesterday's jobs were to move a dwarf and and a dwaf pear tree (tick.... but it took much longer than I thought it would) weed the long front lower bed and plant a potted rose and some summer iris bulbs (again tick but I got side tracked by helping a plot-friend remove the cover on her new polytunnel as she raelises she had put the long bars on the outside of the arches rather than the inside) and then I realised I only had 45 minutes before I was meeting up with soeone to go to a talk on growing orchids.

This meant that subsidiary jobs like making a start on removing old raspberry canes yet again remained unstarted and there is no compost in the box where the early carrots wil be sown... early I say, but it is already March so that is really now a misnomer.

Where does the time go?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 20:50 »
One way to stay on top is to do as many jobs at the end of the growing season as can be reasonably done. By spring, my time and mind is concentrated on timing and sowing hardy and half hardy veg. I don't want to be delayed or distracted by clearing and tidying the shed before i can start on that.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 22:40 »
I have a list of jobs with approximate timings so I don't go too off track.

What usually happens is rhe 1st job takes way longer than expected so the last 2 or three jobs gets added to the following week!

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 22:52 »
When I was at work & I was intending on a day or some time at the plot I used to try to go the evening before, walk round & decide what would be my first job to do & then the 2nd & 3rd . Hopefully I person them all done. I once read that the 1st 15minutes & the last 15 minutes  of any visit should be hoeing . I now try to hoe everywhere at least once a week in the main growing season, it saves an awful lot of work.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 09:08 »
My plot is my back garden, so I just look out of the window and identify which is the most urgent task that I really must tackle today.

Having got myself out there, I then see several other jobs of equal urgency, and start trying to do all of them at once. Then, depending on the task and time of year, either my back starts protesting or my fingers start to get frostbite and I stagger back indoors having not completed any of the tasks properly.  :wacko:

Luckily, being retired and with no travel involved there's always tomorrow, which usually means a repeat of the above, despite giving myself a good talking to re prioritisation.  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 11:31 »
Oh ... so my pipe dream of having loads of time in retirement and finally being able to 'do' my plot properly are a pipe dream then JayG  :lol: 

I shall continue honing my skills at catch-up then  ;) 

xx
New Plot - What About This Plan?

Started by hightower on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 15:08
by potatogrower
clip
Plot plan: Anything amiss?

Started by Browseruk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2023, 13:50
by Goosegirl
xx
I can soon plan my veggie plot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2006, 22:52
by John
xx
New to the site with a new plot to plan...

Started by Clarky86 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2017, 11:51
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 55 queries.