what veg can we grow in a very shady back yard?

• 17 Replies

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
Back in the winter I asked for advice on this.  Now we are up and running, daughter's partner has build up the bed and we've filled it with topsoil and now bags of compost.  Lettuce is on the go and runner and French beans are doing an in/out dance every day to toughen up.  3 courgettes have popped up their heads.  I'm sowing spinach later today and bought some strawberry plants to go in a container on the sunniest wall.  B & Q were doing strips of veg at 5 for £5 so I got her some onions and other bits.

Talking about sunshine....it is incredible just how much they get.... the sunshine is on the back wall of the house from early morning and is full on most of the yard by 09.30 and the last rays disappear from the bed by about 3.00 really couldn't ask for more.  There is really just a narrow strip at the bottom of the wall that gets very little.  Thank you so much for everyone's advice, particularly about waiting to see what the sun does!!  Will post some more pics when it is in full swing. The 2 attached are of the garden pre compost and pre planting.
backyard 1.30pm.jpg
Lancaster backyard.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: what veg can we grow in a very shady back yard?
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 18:36 »
Leafy crops are best for shade, so the spinach or salad leaves probably.  Perhaps also beetroot, radishes etc.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
Re: what veg can we grow in a very shady back yard?
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 14:46 »
This is a photo of the back yard in June or July 2016 and it went on getting better and better.
Thought this thread might be of interest to the recent thread started about shade.
Katherine's garden June 2016.jpg

xx
how shady is too shady for comfrey ?

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 18:52
by richrua
xx
Will chili grow back?

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 19:29
by agapanthus
xx
Will Apple Tree Buds Grow Back after being removed from trun

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 12:41
by jimroden
xx
yard long beans

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 11:26
by Muls

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 40 queries.