New to the site with a new plot to plan...

• 3 Replies

Clarky86

New to the site with a new plot to plan...
« on: April 29, 2017, 22:22 »
Good evening everybody

Just wanted to say a quick hello.
I'm new to the site but had a few years ago an allotment for a short period which wasn't too successful for various reasons.

Having recently brought a new house with a very large garden, I am ready and willing to get started on creating an allotment garden with a view to become self sufficient with vegetables. Hopefully having a plot in my garden, things like finding time and watering it in the dry months etc will be easier to do.

The garden is split in half at the moment with a very wildlife friendly garden with various plants and shrubs and two ponds, one with mirror carp in and another which is a spawning pond. The other half is a paddock atm with a miniature orchard at the end.

The paddock is approx 620sqm and being all grass it also has a dandelion problem which I am open to suggestions on turning it into decent soil for my new plot?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what is already about in the garden, I'm told there are 5 different varieties of Apple including 50+ year old Bramley Apple tree, plum,cherry and walnut trees. There appear to be various soft fruits in a fruit cage and fruit canes dotted all over the place. It's like a big lottery of fruit.

I'm sure in months to come I will have many questions to ask and advice to seek.

Matt

gobs

Re: New to the site with a new plot to plan...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 22:30 »
Am envying your problem.

Paddock. You could, for example, cut the lawn very short in a dry spell, plant it full of spuds and cultivate them, as you would. Do not expect any produce, they'll be full of all worms living on grass roots right now, however, the ground would be more or less clear of grass, many root eating critters and most dandelions in a friendly way. Any usable tatties, a bonus.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 11:45 »
Welcome to the forum Clarky86. Sounds like a very exciting project indeed! Our allotment plot is 520sq m so I can visualise the space you are talking about.

I would suggest you cover up half to two thirds of it with weighted down weeds suppressant membrane for a year, which will kill off most of the grass and weeds tbh, even the dandelions. This will give you a chance to get the rest under control a bit.

It is helpful to decide on an outline plan for how you are going to grow your veg and soft fruit... raised beds, traditional wide open soil areas or something else. Marking things out with twine and string is helpful and sometime helps you see how easy (or not!) it might be to work there. Compost bins are essential and for our area we have three pallet bins of a cubic metre each, which might help you think about what you will need. Will you be buying in manure or creating a leaf mould pile? Where will these go?

Have you thought about a greenhouse or polytunnel?

Could you run a water pipe nearer to your growing area to install a tap?

All things to think about... lots of information on this site in Articles and Advice tab at the top of the page, especially on starting a new allotment.

I look forward to seeing your progress... do take lots of "before" pictures as it will change quickly Enjoy the making of it all !!

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 11:51 »
Welcome to the forum, I'll move your post over the Grow Your Own part of the forum, where more people might reply.

You could always start by strimming the grass and then make some 'lazy beds' which gives you a crop of potatoes, whilst clearing the ground over the growing season.

It's all explained here
http://oca-testbed.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/breaking-new-ground-for-tuber-planting.html

xx
New Plot - What About This Plan?

Started by hightower on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 15:08
by potatogrower
xx
I can soon plan my veggie plot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2006, 22:52
by John
clip
Plot plan: Anything amiss?

Started by Browseruk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2023, 13:50
by Goosegirl
xx
How do you plan your plot visit?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post March 10, 2019, 11:24
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 40 queries.