What was the first thing you did when you got your new plot?

• 25 Replies

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: What was the first thing you did when you got your new plot?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 23:13 »
had a pee in a watering can

You had a compost heap already set up? Good thinking  :lol:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Mythi

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 00:15 »
The first thing I did was run around like a mad woman in fits of joy :tongue2: (although I waited until the allotment officer was out of sight)

The next thing I did was take a load of piccies. 

Then I grabbed a fork and started digging...cleared a patch at a time and planted it. 

I truly wasn't expecting to get much out of my plot last year (got it 31 may/1 June) but was amazed at just how much I did get, doing little  by little.

Posted by: Yorkie1      Posted on: June 24, 2009, 06:12
Insert Quote
I would suggest a combined approach, in that it is a real pity if you don't get any produce at all this year - not least from a motivational perspective.

I'd suggest aiming to clear a relatively small proportion quickly, then put annual things like salad leaves, beetroot, spinach, dwarf beans, etc - stuff that grows quickly - in that bed, so you've got something to keep you going whilst you do focus on clearing the rest of the plot for a clean start next year.

It is very easy to get a little disheartened when all that is in front of you is yet more digging and clearing and no immediate reward.

NB. I'm sure you will do so, but if you don't grow anything on cleared land, make sure it's covered or regularly hoed to prevent weed regrowth.

^ this, basically :)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 05:27 »
There was already a concrete base built that was originally for a chicken shed, so I put a shed on there (with room for a GH) when I can afford one.  I then put a new fence and gates around.  Then we measured out all the 14 beds ( af friend has his own 3 raised beds)  to the same size (4ft by 14ft)  for ease of netting and rotation.  I put in permanent paths through all the plot.  Its whats known as a 'graveyard plot'  :lol:  I am quite tempted to get some headstones carved with veggy names on them  :D
As I had planted up, we had to work around the veg,and so I didnt get all the beds set up permanently, so Ive still got another two beds and path between to set up.  That would have been done last year.  I also manured half of the plot in autumn

You can do this with breeze blocks we done some for our halloween events last year.

I took hold of the slasher and went to work clearing bramle's that were up to my ear's. then we started digging and planting as we went. it worked for us that way.
Thanks
Kris

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 08:16 »
I thought ..." what a huge mistake I've made!!"

Then got digging, clearing and tidying and haven't looked back since.

I love my allotment now :)

Jazz
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Oliver

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 08:28 »
I would suggest a combined approach...
Definately the combined approach because while you are working on other parts, the planted part can be growing and you will get some reward for your hard work this year.  the 'finished'  parts won't wait till you are ready to plant them up, so you will still have to weed those bits, with no return. It takes many years to get the plot established to your satisfaction, so softly softly catchee monkey. However, it's your plot and your time, so do what you think best!
Oliver
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 10:06 »
Took a photo, cleared a patch at one end for a compost bin, then got a fork and cleared a strip each time i went  from Last october until March. Two thirds clear now, have grown spuds on half of what was cleared to help break up clay soil, and will spend the winter putting in paths & edging now I know what I want. The rest of the plot I planted two permanant beds for asparagus and raspberries and a pear tree roughly in the middle, so I have ground either side to "play" with.
Drew up some plans, now on version 14 I think!
So agree with the others - clear some properly so you can get growing to keep the moaners happy, but take your time with the rest, perhaps putting in temporary paths until you are sure you know where you want everything to be,
then weed, weed & weed!!!

Sue33

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 10:09 »

one thing I didn't do and now wish I had was to take some photos, one year on and can't believe how much we've done, I would love to be be able to do a "before and after" comparison, so.............. take your camera with you and post your piccies on here  :)

Ourveggiepatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 13:35 »
Hi all

Thanks for your replies, all really helpful and a really funny.

My first reaction was tell everyone.  Then I went mad with joy shouting "we have an allotment"  over and over again.  then I took loads and loads of photos the day we got it and planned in our minds where beds were going to go.

Then next day we (Saturday) we marked out beds with cord and dug the first bed. 3 weeks later we have 3 beds dug, an area levelled for a shed, shed built and small patio area laid where we can just sit and relax in the evenings if we want (we dont have a garden at home so this will be a garden and allotment for us).  I have also started digging out some of the paths.

We have also dug a ditch around the outside of the plot to bury the chicken wire to keep out the rabbits and got the stakes in the ground.

This weekend we will get the chicken wire up and some more beds dug.

I didn't think about planting winter onions and other winter veg for next year now - thank you for that tip I will certainly be looking at planting some winter veg for next year.

Its so exciting isnt it getting your plot, I dont think about the hard work that has to go into it just the end results and as I love digging its not a problem.

x

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 16:12 »
"We have also dug a ditch around the outside of the plot to bury the chicken wire to keep out the rabbits and got the stakes in the ground."

I don't know if it is important, but our rabbit fencing was laid with the bottom 6"-9" laid flat, facing outwards.  Apparently to deter rabbits that come up to the wire and start to try to dig down. It was just laid on the grass, which grew through, but the turf could be lifted if necessary. Just mention this in case burying vertically won't have the same deterrent? (Don't know the answer, sorry)

Also, I appreciate that Chicken Wire is a generic term, but the stuff we have is called Rabbit Wire (22mm mesh I think, and about 1M high). Even so we had two baby rabbits in there making home this weekend, and a third stuck half-way through the mesh :(

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 16:21 »
We cleared the rubbish!! Skip full and more  :(

We decided little jobs, so we could at least see progress which helps! We set a couple of beds and planted pretty much straight away (Potatoes, broad beans, garlic and onions..and a few strawberries) then we cleared the rest and established beds, made  compost pallet bin, put up greenhouse, set up bee hive - all jobs which have a definite 'goal' but after a while all accumilate in an allotment being created  :D

As plants come out I'm going to prepare the soil in that bed for what I want to plant next.

I'd think twice about working hard in preparing soil for a year! You need rewards every now and again to keep you going.

Good Luck...and where are the pics of your new plot!?!  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 19:14 »
Well done on your progress so far OVP!!

Sounds as though your new plot wasn't overgrown enough by half  ::) ;) :lol:

But there is a rule here, you know, where are the piccies ('cos we're a right nosy bunch   :D )

See for how to do so http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19476.0
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
If you could have one new thing on your plot this year...

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post January 07, 2014, 15:32
by crh75
clip
Is this a nutrient thing or a pruning thing

Started by UrbanGrower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 15:09
by JayG
xx
Just one thing.....

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 15, 2017, 20:34
by Blewit
xx
Is there such a thing

Started by Redwellies on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 17:12
by WG.

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 39 queries.