Christmas parsnips.

• 27 Replies

Nikkithefoot

Re: Christmas parsnips.
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 17:20 »
I'm fortunate this year in that I have the choice of cabbage (red and green), leeks, kale (red and green), parsnips and beetroot for Christmas Day, in addition to the stored spuds. I'm so looking forward to going to the plot on Saturday afternoon to harvest them.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Living in Hope

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 17:33 »
My first year with my 'plot' - I've got potatoes in the shed and will get some sprouts Saturday. I would love to grow some parsnips but this year every single onion, shallot and leek was eaten within days of planting which I've put down to mice/voles.

I've read on another post that they are also partial to parsnips. Ideally a Barn Owl nest would keep them under control, but failing that (improbable plan), any suggestions?

For info I've planted some tulips with some anti-mole bulbs to see if they work.

p.s. I don't have an allotment I have 0.8 acres of mostly overgrown (not touched for 35 years) land with a small veg plot.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 17:50 »
I have the same problem with mice/voles in my garden, and I'm also surrounded by acres of pastureland so have a very big local mice population. They've never touched any of my onions/garlic/shallots, but their all time favourites have always been carrots and parsnips. This past year they scoffed my entire crop of both. I put down box traps and get quite a few of them that way, but when the population's so big it's a drop in the ocean. Are the anti-mole bulbs supposed to work on mice too? If so, and they work, please let me know because I'd love to find a deterrent. A deterrent that works is way more effective than any amount of traps. Incidentally, we've always got tawny and little owls in our garden at night and they don't seem to have any effect on the local rodent population.

Babstreefern

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 20:27 »
I too need to go to the lottie and dig up my parsnips, leeks and snip off the sprouts.  Also collect some spuds :blink:

When you groan doing the back breaking digging and picking out the weeds during the winter, isn't it worth it on Christmas day, when possibly, the only thing on the plate that you've not grown is the turkey and the gravy, everything else is from the allotment 8)
Babs

sarajane

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 23:47 »
[quote author=Babstreefern

When you groan doing the back breaking digging and picking out the weeds during the winter, isn't it worth it on Christmas day, when possibly, the only thing on the plate that you've not grown is the turkey and the gravy, everything else is from the allotment 8)
[/quote]

I always feel very proud when all the veg on the plate is produed by us.  Makes it all worthwhile. Meant to say earlier we  also have leeks and enough carrots left.  A little Irish friend on the plots will kindly donate a swede as ours also turned belly up this year (again) ;)

LilacSandy

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 20:48 »
This morning I dug some lovely Parsnips and cut a cabbage and a cauliflower.  I also dug a row of carrots and every one was riddled with fly.   >:( >:(  Luckily I had sewn a bucket full and put them in the plastic greenhouse so we will still have plenty.

I have runner beans, french beans, Broad Beans and lots of soft fruit, this is the first year I have put Christmas on a plate.  Going to try for Peas next year as this year was a disaster, but overall I am chuffed with myself  :D :D

Benandbill

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2011, 06:31 »
Living in Hope, I don't know about other veg, but if you ever grow broad beans or peas, for what it's worth, soaking for an hour in paraffin before plantng is supposed to deter the mice.

It's great to hear everyone's success about what they've grown for Christmas dinner.  Alas, I didn't get to pick my parsnips on Christmas morning, we were unfortunate and had to spend a large chunk of Christmas day in Morriston hospital as my better half caught her finger in a door and crushed the tip when we were in our local on Christmas eve.  Pretty gruesome, and we still have to get it fixed up as they couldn't get a space for her in the theatre y'day.  They've patched her up temporarily with a good dressing but we have to go back today and try our luck again.  We did manage a bit of dinner at a relatives late y'day afternoon but had no parsnips to contribute

Better luck next year for us :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2011, 06:58 »
Really sorry to hear that Benandbill.  Hope your OH gets her finger sorted today.  Sounds very painful  :(

Those parsnips will be there for another occasion  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2011, 13:54 »
Living in Hope, I don't know about other veg, but if you ever grow broad beans or peas, for what it's worth, soaking for an hour in paraffin before plantng is supposed to deter the mice.

It's great to hear everyone's success about what they've grown for Christmas dinner.  Alas, I didn't get to pick my parsnips on Christmas morning, we were unfortunate and had to spend a large chunk of Christmas day in Morriston hospital as my better half caught her finger in a door and crushed the tip when we were in our local on Christmas eve.  Pretty gruesome, and we still have to get it fixed up as they couldn't get a space for her in the theatre y'day.  They've patched her up temporarily with a good dressing but we have to go back today and try our luck again.  We did manage a bit of dinner at a relatives late y'day afternoon but had no parsnips to contribute

Better luck next year for us :(

OUCH!

That sounds horrible

Hope things are a bit less painful for her now Benandbill
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Benandbill

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 16:12 »
Thanks New shoot and sunshineband, another 5 hour shift in Morriston Hospital yesterday eventually got it sorted.  It#s been quite a sober Christmas for us, but we have parsnips left over.  Maybe we could make some wine out of them in the new year?  :happy:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 16:58 »
Good plan  :)

Glad to hear your OH is more comfortable now as well  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 18:11 »
Parsnip soup is rather nice too  ;)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 20:45 »
Parsnips are not just for Christmas..we eat them for every roast dinner  :happy:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Christmas Veg Bed

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 18, 2009, 22:59
by solway cropper
xx
Christmas in May

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 12:10
by madcat
xx
Christmas veg

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 09, 2014, 08:52
by New shoot

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 37 queries.