Two new ladies

• 11 Replies

Carolf

• Experienced Member
Two new ladies
« on: July 05, 2012, 13:18 »
Yesterday, after a long wait, I have managed to get 2 Miss Pepperpots.  They are absolutely adorable and I already love them to bits.  Naming them is a problem - hubby thinks they should be called the spice girls and I told him what he could do with that idea  ???

A few of the names we have thought up are Sage and Onion, Sooty and Sweep, Thelma and Louise.  Someone suggested Ken and Tucky but they are both female so that went out the window  :tongue2:

Will post pics of my little beauties when my OH gets back with my camera which he hijacked to take to London  :blink:

In 3 weeks or so I will probably be crying on the forum somewhere on the hassles with the integration with my other chooks (or bragging that it went without a hitch  ::) )
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Two new ladies
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 14:45 »
look forward to seeing the photos  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 20:31 »
Are they the same cross as the Black Rock Carolf?  Looking forward to the pictures. 

How about Sugar and Spice for names.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 22:35 »
Ours dont have names  :ohmy: 3 of them are very difficult to tell apart and the other 2 are quite different.

We named the first lot of hens but havent since.

Maybe we could suggest some more names from the photos  :D hint hint

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 11:02 »
I rather liked the names Thelma & Louise.
naming them after spices though is a good idea. like Tarragon & Cumin :blush:

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 21:05 »
As promised, some pics of the new girls.  Getting pics of them together is a mission at the moment as they are all over the place 'investigating'  :tongue2:

We ended up, after much debate, calling them Fudge and Smudge (but I do love the Sugar and Spice names ANHBUC).  As for the Black Rock, I think so, but I have given up wondering how Miss Pepperpots come about.  As far as I know Pepperpots are a 3 way hybrid of Black Rock, Rhode Island Red and Maran although how they manage that my brain cannot comprehend  ???

Fudge is the one with more gold on her chest (the only way to tell the apart right now).
DSC01616.JPG
DSC01623.JPG
DSC01628.JPG

splash101

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 23:51 »
They are lovely, similar to mine (rhode rocks) and very quick lol. 3 of my 5 are almost identical and 1 is almost all black and the 5th looks like she is on fire.
I see another busy weekend on the bench might be in store  :D

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 07:13 »
on the bench with an umbrella I presume  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 19:08 »
Lovely girls Carolf thanks for the photos.  They do look a little more gold on their backs than Black Rocks.  The breeding does sound very complicated but worth it for such pretty hens.  Bet you're looking forward to their first eggs.   :D

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 22:27 »
ANHBUC you are right, it does sound complicated  :blink:  To confuse the issue even more, Miss Pepperpots only come in the female variety.  The mind boggles  :nowink:

I am looking forward to them laying eggs, but as I am not sure how old they are I am going to have to wait patiently, patience not being one of my strong points  >:( 
I guesstimate their age around 12-14 weeks but I could be well off the mark.  Time will tell.  ;)

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 11:01 »
The Black Rocks only come in female as well, the male from the same breeding is a grey colour and is usually culled when they hatch.   They have no use for the male as they wouldn't produce the same breed if used for breeding and they are not very good as meat birds.

They look similar size if not a little bigger than my Black Rocks when I got them at 12 weeks.  I got mine at the end of December and they didn't start laying until they were 26 weeks old.  Hopefully yours will be quicker due to the time of year and extra daylight.

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 13:13 »
Managed to get a pic of the pair of them together ;)
DSC01636.JPG

xx
Three ladies

Started by Robbo on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 18:11
by ANHBUC
xx
Thanks to my old ladies!

Started by Chrysalis on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 15:09
by Epona_4
smiley
My new ladies

Started by alancane on Chicken Chat

19 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 18:53
by alancane
xx
My Ladies

Started by My Girls on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post September 10, 2011, 20:55
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.