covering beds for winter ??

• 10 Replies

starry

covering beds for winter ??
« on: September 06, 2009, 15:15 »
am I doing the right thing ?  :unsure: I have weeded the beds no longer in use put manure on them (that need it for next years) and have covered my raised beds with black polythene is this OK or should I leave the beds open to the elements ?? I have a light sandy soil
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

Savoy

Re: covering beds for winter ??
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 15:53 »
Personally I cannot see any reason to cover the beds.

I would let the elements take care of the manure you have spread on top and the worms will do their bit too.

I find that covering with black plastic encourages slugs to accumulate underneath,although that can be handy if you wanted to pick them off and dispose of them!

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 16:28 »
I cover the beds only to keep them dry till I'm ready to dig them much later in the year when everything is soaking wet! makes life much easier, then I leave them uncovered.

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 19:47 »
I always cover my beds.  I put manure on them and cover in black plastic with no problems. I dont have that much time so any time saved by not having to weed an open bed in the spring is good for me. :) :) I have little or no work to do when I am ready to plant ~ a little bit of light weeding of pale weak weeds and thats it ! The beds are also much warmer when its time for sowing seeds.

Jazz!
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 20:43 »
I'd leave them uncovered and try an overwintered green manure which you dig in in the spring field beans or mustard  is worth a try or winter tares.  Try a place that sell animal and poultry food to buy the seed.

Good luck
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

pushrod

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:43 »
I often cover with pieces of an old pond liner (butyl rubber) -very hard wearing, have been using it for years and it doesn't tear like plastic will. I water well and put a few slug pellets down before spreading it out. Find it attracts and kills slugs and helps in keeping it weedfree.  :)
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 14:13 »
The only comment I would make about these coverings which are impermeable, such as plastic or rubber, is that they do not let the air and water through so there is a risk that the soil will become stale / organisms will not thrive over a period of months.

Make sure that the cover is removed well before planting if you do use it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Sue33

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 14:34 »

we leave the beds uncovered  :)

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 16:21 »
You also need to leave the beds uncovered for a period to let the birds get at pupating nasties & other insects in the soil.

pushrod

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 17:55 »
The only comment I would make about these coverings which are impermeable, such as plastic or rubber, is that they do not let the air and water through so there is a risk that the soil will become stale / organisms will not thrive over a period of months.

Make sure that the cover is removed well before planting if you do use it.
I don't think that is a real concern tbh, unless someone is going to shrink wrap the soil ;) .
There are always plenty of little mini beasts under there when i lift mine. I think what damages the beds more is when people walk on their soil. I have a system of scaffolding planks which i walk on and occasionally move to prevent the soil becoming compressed.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 17:59 »
I'm only going by what I was taught on my RHS course but if your experience is different, that's fine  :)

xx
Covering up for winter

Started by Longshanks on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2018, 17:25
by Dev
xx
Winter covering

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 27, 2013, 21:08
by shoozie
xx
covering winter spuds

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 16:16
by Jonajo
xx
Covering soil for winter to prevent weeds from growing. Do you recomend?

Started by Sturmovik on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 06, 2018, 07:19
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 39 queries.