Elderflower Champage Going Mouldy

• 4 Replies

billyb1987

• Experienced Member
« on: July 20, 2008, 11:24 »
My week old elderflower champagne has began to mould and the smell is quite intense and over powering at times. I think the problem could be that some of the elderflower bits were left in and some still remain. The champagne is fizzing which I heard is a good sign but i'm concerned that my champagne will need to be chucked away due to the mould, there was not a great deal but it is off putting and I have removed while I search for a solution. The champagne is being kept in a 20 litre bucket and covered by an old t-shirt and secured with some rope to preven insects getting in. Is my champagne a write off?

This is a first attempt for me so i'm not expecting miracles or anything, just need to know if my champagne is still good to brew.

gardengran

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 23:40 »
only kept mine in the bucket for 48 ish hrs then strained and bottled it, it was then ready after 2 weeks to drink and its really nice....how long have you kept yours in bucket for? i did read if you kept it in bucket for much longer it started to smell like cat p  :?
please god let my carrots grow as big as the dock roots!

billyb1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 13:22 »
Yeh well that's probably right cos mine started to smell after 3 or 4 days of being in the bucket.. It got so bad it smelt like vomit, it was really quite disgusting to say the least so I chucked it down the drain.

I'll try again next year :)

monkeybum

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 14:01 »
Mine was in the bucket six days and was absolutely fine. Its made a fab sparkling wine. Well I've two litres left, out of twelve...hic! :D

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 10:22 »
There are two types of elderflower, the white ones and creamy ones. Apparently if you use the creamy coloured ones it gives the cats pee smell. The mold I have no idea with as I tend to sulphite my must for 24 hours to stun any wild yeasts before pitching my brewers yeast. I certainly wouldn't add sulphite once it is fermenting.

There are some very knowledgable folks over at Wines at home who would be able to help.

xx
Elderflower champagne mouldy!

Started by Lucy Danning on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 13:38
by Beetroot queen
wireless
elderflower champers - mouldy

Started by titch on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:45
by titch
xx
Elderflower

Started by digital_biscuit on Homebrew

44 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 12:30
by 8doubles
xx
Elderflower IPA

Started by Newportalien on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 12:39
by Newportalien

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 37 queries.