Is there a cheap lice treating method guys?

• 18 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Is there a cheap lice treating method guys?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 21:27 »
The only problem with creosote (and some of us mere mortals can still get it!)  is you can't put your birds back in the coop for at least a week until all the fumes have gone!  We were lucky as our big henhouse was empty for another 2 weeks!!

I've heard that the creosote substitute isn't as good, but that is also being replaced by the one that Wickes are selling which is called Creocote, but I don't know if that's any good. 

Here is an article about Creocote, but dosn't mention its good for getting rid of red mite!!!

http://www.bartoline.co.uk/News_View.aspx?Articleid=5

karlooben

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 21:56 »
i doubt  tea tree would work  thats more for skin sores etc  and i know u have to be very carefull when applying it like dont over do it , umm someone may know more about it then me though .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 22:04 »
Diatom (or Diatomous Earth as it's full title is known) is said to be completely organic approved and I've found it to be very effective on my flock of 10.

I bought a big tub of it recently, decanted some into a clean washing up bottle and I regularly give my chooks a dusting by catching them (in the evening when they are dozy, by the legs off the perch) and lying them on their backs gently.  puff some squirts right under their feathers, wings, armpits, vent area & necks and re do after a week, so that the baby nits that have hatched are also killed (no product available can kill the eggs, or nits).

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 22:24 »
Creocote is useless against mites. Original creosote is the one to use if you can get it. I do mine twice a year and never get redmite. I pick a day when the weathers clear for a couple of days and make sure the coops are dry and odour free before putting the girls in. Make sure you do it in the open and wear a mask and good gloves, the fumes are thought to be carcinogenic so please keep this in mind!

Benyzl Benzoate Emulsion is for human Scabies so you may get  funny look in the chemists lol.
It's around £4 for a biiig bottle that will last you years.
I keep a small paint brush and an empty marg tub to do the job with. Pour a little into the tub and brush it directly onto the birds legs. Repeat application after one week. Thats it. Simple and very cheap.

xx
Citrocidal - where can I get it guys??

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2009, 17:05
by karlooben
xx
Treating/medication

Started by red on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 10:00
by bantam novice
xx
Treating red mite

Started by susiepoos on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 08:17
by Aunt Sally
xx
treating a hen house

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 22:53
by grinling

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 39 queries.