Mr Smith's gardening book

• 9 Replies

rowlandwells

Mr Smith's gardening book
« on: February 14, 2019, 12:20 »
I was looking through my bookshelf last night to find something completely non gardening when  I came across a book I bought in 1974 ish  called Mr Smith's gardening book written by Geoffrey Smith and Arthur Bilitt that complemented the TV series called Mr Smiths Gardening

as i undrstand Geoffrey smith had 4 books from that sereries and i just wondered if anyone had read or bought Geoffrey smith's books as i only bought 1 at the time but that book still makes interesting reading and i think his gardening series was more informative that the presnt day gardening programs and ofcause this was caried on by the late great Geoff Hamilton

Jax64

Re: Mr Smith's gardening book
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 12:42 »
I haven’t got one of those, but have the Readers Digest book Food from your Garden, lost my original copy (1977), by lending it out. So bought a reprint, (1985) still refer to it now for the main vegetable growing section, also has Interesting recipes as well as home preserving, wine making, foraging, poultry and bee keeping!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 14:36 »
Some of Geoffrey Smith's gardening programmes are on youtube, from those days when gardeners used to get a full hour programme every week  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 15:28 »
I remember him and I think my hero Geoff Hamilton took over from him later on. Geoff is the reason I got into gardening because he didn't care if you had no knowledge about growing things, little money to spare, but just wanted to get your hands in the soil to produce something either to delight the eye or the palate. That was when gardening programmes were sensible. Bring 'em back! 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 16:39 »
that's music to my ears Goosegirl how rite you are I'm pleased some agrees with me unfortunately the good old beeb insists on letting those people who pretend to know about gardening put on. sorry try to put on a good  act I feel sorry for Monty as he's obviously been told to tell um nothing keep um in the dark and feed um B--------t the best part of those programs is when they visit a proper gardener on his allotment they mite do well to visit John Harrison's allotments that would definitely be worth watching  :D

does anyone know if Geoffrey Smith is still with us? perhaps we could get him back on gardeners world because if I remember both him and Geoff Hamilton never promoted buying plants from garden centres when you could grow them yourselves yes bring 'um back the sooner the better

thanks  Mum I never thought about youtube and yes JAX64 Readers Digest food from the garden another good book worth reading although we never had one but most of the old gardeners swore by it

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 17:10 »
Geoffrey died some 10 years ago.  I saw him shortly before he died at a Q&A session near Harrogate.  He hadn't changed much, his voice was as strong and accented as I remembered it.  A pleasure to hear him talk at my level.

oldgrunge

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 19:55 »
He was a great favourite of my father. I still have one of his books, " A Passion For Plants", which belonged to my father.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 14:37 »
Rowlandwells, you can pick up these lovely old books at various charity centres, second-hand bookshops and the like for next to nothing. I wouldn't part with my Geoff ones nor the DVDs I got because his voice (not to mention his rather tight jeans) just makes you feel that nothing is beyond your capabilities to gain something from your garden whether it's flowers, veg or fruit. Sometime after he died G. World asked people who was their favourite gardener and why. I said it was Geoff Hamilton because he would never give me a hard time if I made a mistake and it actually got into print.

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 16:17 »
I thought that was a description of Geoff Hamilton Goosegirl and I'm going to look out for those books because one can never get enough gardening information from a true gardener like Geoff  was talking of tight jeans I remember when we last visited Barnsdale there was a pair of Geoff's old jeans hanging up for some charity or other

sorry to hear Geoffrey Smith died miken  he was a good presenter well worth watching and its a pleasure to still read and enjoy his books

anyway thanks all for those replies

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 22:09 »
I remember him. Not so long ago I was trying to remember his surname but I kept thinking of Geoff Hamilton. Now I know. I used to have his veg garden book used it all the time. In fact I looked on Amazon today and they have very cheap second hand copies, I’m going to get one just for old times sake.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

xx
No more Smith Periods

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 13, 2017, 23:01
by gobs
xx
smith period

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2014, 18:08
by Growster...
xx
Smith Period - Blight Watch

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 20:21
by mumofstig
xx
Warning of Full Smith Period

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 19:26
by arugula

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 50 queries.