Your Two Best Cookbooks.

• 7 Replies

Markw

• Experienced Member
Your Two Best Cookbooks.
« on: February 28, 2016, 09:46 »
As I am a bit of a collector of cook books, you know what it is like, they are on the shelf but you actually hardly use them  :D Well my friend said to me the other day if I had to only choose two off them and ditch the rest which two books would I keep.

I was thinking what a good question !!!

So here are my two favourite cook books.
In first place has to be ,
Charmaine Solomon s influential and iconic The Complete Asian Cookbook.

In second place , this was a hard call 
National Federation of Woman's Institutes. Country Fare from the Ideal Home Exhibition 1954.

Warnes Everyday cookery 1929 just missed out.

Just wondering what books you would choose if you were asked the same question ?.

“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

madcat

Re: Your Two Best Cookbooks.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 10:42 »
Readers Digest Cookery Year - bought when we first got together and still go - to for basics 30-umm years later!
And then - Ken Hom's chinese cooking or slow cooking or one pot cooking...

No, I'd rescue my folder of recipes from the fire as the other one I think .... that is irreplacable!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 11:11 »
I try to collect but
1. Gok wan
2. Is a huge book under lots of cooks professional  and home cooke mainly american recipes but the measurements are in cups ,oz and grams  when i need a bit of comforting i go for that one
i do have paul holliwods pies and puds but have put him on the back burner since it took me all day to do his lamb mince pies and they weren't  that nice .
i get most of my books in charity shops , and the like , best bargin was delia for 50p .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 23:24 »
Just 2. Nar can't do it. :lol: :lol:

Cos my favourite cookbook is the one I am working my way through at the moment.

I have about 400 can't whittle it down to just 2. How do I choose between Nigel or Gary, or Floyd, Pattern, GHK, Delia, Mary Berry, Sue Lawrence, 20 scrap books of cuttings.............................................

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:11 »
I can't pick like that! I need books for vegetarian recipes, books for puddings and Nigel & Hugh. And Rose Elliott whose vegetarian book is a godsend.

I have 2 small shelves of cookbooks. And I use every one of them, if some more than others. I have seen the temple to cookbooks that is Mrs Bee's Emporium though. It is quite honestly staggering!

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 09:20 »
I would tend to agree with you all !!! I have far to many cook books that I would never be able to get rid of. I should have said what are your two cook books that you cherish the most.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 10:04 »
Mark I would be hard pushed to choose 20. :blush:

snow white

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 15:52 »
My Dairy Diary Cookbook and my Hamlin Cookbook.  Every Time.

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 37 queries.