Soft shells

• 4 Replies

zoggett

Soft shells
« on: April 30, 2010, 17:40 »
Hi there, my 2 girls Myrtle and Mavis have not laid for about a month now then this week Myrtle laid me a lovely egg on monday then from Tuesday  she has laid a soft shell one every day. They have a container of oysyter shell as well as their layers pellets. They are both about 18 months old and not ex batts, Mavis has never laid since we got her.
Is there anything I should be doing. They seem healthy with lovely red combs and wattles.
thanks

Debbie

Oakdalebirds

Re: Soft shells
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:56 »
Debbie dont panic my girls went off lay and have all started back in full swing and yes we had the soft shell and no shell(which was odd) and the very odd shape egg , i was going to keep that one but my partner cooked it but anyway back to your girls just give them time  :) hope this helps

zoggett

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 21:43 »
Thanks oakdale, does everyone else agree that I am panicking for nothing?

Debbie

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:29 »
Definitely nothing to panic about, however, you may get soft shells for longer than you think.  I have five girls who all laid beautifully for about 8 months until March of last year.  Since then, one Legbar has stopped laying altogether, the other legbar has been laying softies or very thin shelled eggs for a year, and a snow white has been laying very thin shelled eggs for about two months.  They have everything they need, including good layers pellets, grit, oystershell, and acv regularly.  It did get to the point where I wasn't even getting one every day, so I've changed their routine, and they're not allowed out of the run to freerange until midday.  That has resulted in two eggs almost every day.  I've also been giving them Davinova C, calcium in their water for two weeks, but that's not made a difference to the thin shells so far, so I'm hoping to get some limestone flour soon to try.  But, I will say they are all happy and healthy, which is the main thing. :happy:

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 13:12 »
Try a bit of limeflour on a grape for a couple of days but dont give it for long only for a couple of days three at the most.

xx
Soft Shells

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 09:50
by Flowerpower136
xx
soft egg shells

Started by bateschooks on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 18:40
by joshbuchan
xx
soft shells

Started by Tralou on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 16:31
by joyfull
xx
Soft shells (again)

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 31, 2008, 11:02
by Njal

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 38 queries.