Greenhouse in shade

• 5 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse in shade
« on: April 07, 2011, 13:46 »
Hey everyone!  I'm a regular(ish) in 'the hen house' but have now got a greenhouse too.

We have the greenhouse to bring things one through the winter rather than to grow exotic plants that need a lot of sun and warmth.  Some of the greenhouse will be shady at certain times of day, but our new neighbour is looking at putting up a higher fence.  This will be along the west of the greenhouse and, due to the way the nearby houses are laid out, will only affect the late evening sun.  However, just wondering if in your opinion, the drop in sunlight will be a huge problem?

Not much I can do about it, but just thinking about whether I should worry...

Thanks!

Kleftiwallah

Re: Greenhouse in shade
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 14:08 »

We had the same problem, re fences.  This neihbour took the oportunity of having a fence installed while we were on holiday so the workmen could trample all over our property for access and also leave piles of clay where they had dug holes for the posts. Posts on OUR side!

Came home and it was all done.  but a few words were passed over this fence!  I believe the maximum height is 6 feet, but I suppose it will be 2 mteres now.  Your greenhouse will keep off the cold winds which will be a bonus in itself.    Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 14:17 »
Thanks Tony, I was hoping it wouldn't be too much of a problem - some people eh!!

pigeonpie

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 14:57 »
Hi,
We have a greenhouse that is in the shade of a very large conifer.  I find it perfect to start seedlings in as it protects them from being burnt by the sun and stops them being too leggy.  We have another greenhouse in full sun in which we grow all the sun loving crops.
As Tony says, the fence will also protect from the wind and therefore might keep it a little warmer. 

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 19:57 »
Hello - my green house is shaded by a leylandi that is in my neighbours garden and whilst I was thinking it was a major pain - it provides shade at about midday so although I hate the blooming thing it is a bit of a blessing too.  If it wasn't there the greenhouse would be super hot in the summer.  I didn't put the shade paint on it last year and the cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes did well. 

hope this helps
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:04 »

Just had another thought. . . If your G.H. roof is in the sunlight, it may be an idea to install a fan to blow the warmed air down to where your plants are growing,   Get in a qualified 'leccie' to do the wiring.    :ohmy:   Just a thought.   Cheers,   Tony.

xx
Polytunnel in shade

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2014, 06:19
by New shoot
xx
paint on shade

Started by Lulu on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 21:52
by Sparkyrog
xx
growing in the shade

Started by MAT on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post October 12, 2012, 21:52
by mumofstig
xx
When is it too hot in a greenhouse?

Started by Yana on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 10:46
by Yana

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 38 queries.