rough, pale egg shell

• 6 Replies

chickadee11

rough, pale egg shell
« on: October 27, 2010, 10:16 »
Hi, I have 4 ex-bats and 1 rhode island red.  One of my hens lays eggs with very pale (almost white) shells with a rough texture like sandpaper.  She's been doing this for several months.  I thought she was ill at one point and I had a really chronic infestation of mites so I put it down to that.  She also didn't grown her missing feathers like the others did.  Recently she's totally perked up and has begun growing the missing feathers but the egg shell hasn't changed.  Has anyone got any ideas as to why her egg shells are strange? 

I can't think it will be her diet because the others are all laying lovely brown eggs with nice thick shells.  Also I have had some soft egg shells recently (probably about one every 2-3 weeks), but I'm not sure if it's the same hen, it could be.

Thanks
Chickadee
Chick

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: rough, pale egg shell
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 11:00 »
with elderly hens coming towards the end of their laying this can be quite normal, some change colour others get wrinkly and odd shaped - this is why chicken farms get rid of them as the supermarkets think we don't like eggs that are different  :wacko:
Staffies are softer than you think.

chickadee11

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 11:12 »

Thanks for reassuring reply Joyful, I have had wrinkly ones too but the eggs are ok inside so I still eat them.  Glad this can happen without the chickens being ill..not bothered about the eggs particularly, just happy that the hens are having a nice life now.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 18:50 »
It may be that when she gets all her feathers back that her eggs get normal again.  How old is she, and are the egg shells thick?

CC xx
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

chickadee11

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 20:10 »
Only just seen last reply.  Think the chicken is about 18 months - 2 yrs.  The shells are fairly thin-ish.  Don't think it's a lack of oyster shell though, the others are laying normal thick egg shells...except one hen has recently laid 2 eggs with NO shell!  Think I got some not so healthy ex-bats, I've had quite a few problems with them since I got them 6 months ago.

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 20:51 »
I've been told that a rough shell is due to an excess of vitamin D.  Not sure how correct that is. 
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 12:09 »
We had that problem with Pearl, and the eggs were absolutely enormous.  Huge rough white ones.  Really eye watering :ohmy:
She's also ex batt and I think has now stopped laying.
Best thing I found for shell quality is a product called Shell Max Booster.

xx
rough egg shell

Started by mambo on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 10:45
by Aunt Sally
xx
rough egg shell

Started by cals chicks on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 11:40
by Chicken Pete
xx
really rough cockerel

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 22:46
by pushrod
xx
Rough shelled egg

Started by raeburg on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 16:50
by violet

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 40 queries.