Clematis

• 8 Replies

hickorychickory

Clematis
« on: April 03, 2008, 11:34 »
Brought 3 clematis plants and going to plant next to a fence.  They are small, should i leave the support canes in until they grow a bit.  

I am new at this growing flowers game, dont want them to die Help!  :

Alex 98

Clematis
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 11:58 »
Yes, leave the canes, keep checking that the ties aren't restricting the growth. Planting, really important. Plant deep, Clematis roots like shade. Some people put pieces of slate around the base of the plant when planted to offer more shade. If your soil is heavy put plenty of horticultural grit in the planting hole, with blood fish & bone. Water well, really well.
Check what category your plants fall into as this is important for pruning. :tongue2:
Good luck
Alex 98
Alfie's Grandad

hickorychickory

Clematis
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:32 »
Hi Alex 98

2 of the plants are deciduous, not sure on the other as it flowers in summer and autumn.  Is that what you mean by category :?:  The fence does not get full sun but base does first thing in the morning.

Thanxs for advice :D

Alex 98

Clematis
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 13:05 »
There are 3 catergories. Numbered 1, 2, and 3.
All Clems are deciduous except 'Armundi.'
You need to know what varieties you have got in order to identify which pruning group.
1.Early flowering. ie Alpinas & Montanas (Montanas can be monsters)Only prune if overgrowing it space, tidy up after flowering.
2. Mid flowering. Prune lightly after flowering, depending on size and where you want to train it.
3. Late flowering. Take down to 12 inches in Autumn
Mulch all well

Alex 98 :)

gobs

Clematis
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 19:40 »
Quote from: "Alex 98"

All Clems are deciduous except 'Armundi.'

And a few other guys.

As Alex says, if you want pruning advice you need to know the variety.

Deep planting supposed to be a good pre-caution against clematis wilt. Near a fence or building, you don't need to worry about much else as it should be very well stone dry soil there, usually. Also, usually shaded sometime of the day, it doesn't face south, does it?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

Clematis
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 22:05 »
Alex, its true that clematis need their roots shaded to keep them cool, but I'd never put a piece of slate there - it would block water intake to crucial root area. I simply mulch mine well and they thrive. Each spring I give them a handful of clematis fertilizer along with some old manure in the mulch.
And h.c. be sure to get your taller trellis or whatever for them to climb on in place this spring while you still can.

hickorychickory

Clematis
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:59 »
Hi guys

Putting the clems up against a fence, which does not face south. It does get some sun but mostly shade.  I have trellis at the top of the fence, but going to fix garden wire all over the fence.   Weather not looking good for the weekend, so should I wait before putting them in :?:  

My clems are called  Miss Bateman, Rouge Cardinal and Doctor Ruppel :D

gobs

Clematis
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 16:54 »
All large flowered hybrids, Bateman and Ruppel are early and doesn't really need pruning, can give them a tidy or light prune in early spring, but not necessary.

Red Cardinal is late summer, again will flower if left alone, but only high up, on new growth, best to cut down to about a foot from ground level at the end of season.

Alex 98

Slate
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 17:02 »
Don't forget the pieces of slate. 8 beautiful clematis can't be wrong.

Alex 98

xx
clematis

Started by AmandaLouise on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 13:19
by arugula
xx
clematis

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 12:36
by nickmcmechan
xx
clematis

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 12:28
by chrissie B
clip
What is this Clematis?

Started by cbv8 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 09:04
by cbv8

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 28 queries.