Parsnips

• 7 Replies

vegebabble

Parsnips
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:29 »
Hi - I've seen that parsnips need to be planted before mid-march.  I'm just wondering do I sow the seeds straight in the ground - seems so cold and wet, not sure they'd survive!  Or, can I start of indoors on a windowsill and then plant out??
This will be my first year trying parsnips, so any general advise on them would be good too!!  :D

Many thanks!
Vegebabble x

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Parsnips
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:43 »
They don't need to be sown that early.

There have been a lot of threads on this recently, try a search.

Here's one to kick you off:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=51612.0
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

kingston boy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 19:07 »
I put my parsnips in about the last week of March last year and they are excellent. I have about 3-4 left and they are about 3.5 inches across at the top so worry ye not. They will also germinate better being sown later

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 19:57 »
Hi From another Kent member, i got some parsnips in the dining room and they seem to be taking ages to start showing through.  I started mine in long paper pots hoping to go into the ground in a few week time.
Thanks
Kris

raymo1

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 21:28 »
Just a note! I tried growing my parsnips in tiolet rolls so that I knew I had good germination and didn't disturb them during planting. They all failed to grow downwards, and they swelled in the rolls. This year I'm going back to planting in the ground, however late that is.

Best wishes regards Raymo.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 05:40 »
i got some parsnips in the dining room and they seem to be taking ages to start showing through
They can take ages to germinate ...

If you can be fagged you can put some seed on damp kitchen paper (in a Tupperware box or somesuch) and then as soon as it has a little root pop it in one of your paper pots (you might need tweezers ... I said it was a fag!)

One thing that caught me out last year.  I put 2 or 3 seeds in each paper pot, they didn't seem to do anything, so I did the kitchen paper and tweezers lark. Planted them out, got nice foliage, left them to it ... harvested them, and several had 2 or 3 wrapped around each other.  I reckon the additional seeds germinated, eventually, and I never noticed them in the plot!

So some "thinning" may be in order later on in the season ...

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 07:23 »
I did mention chitting some seed to my wife as she done our corn last year and there was 2 that never sent out a shoot, i think mine are starting to shoot now they were sown 11 days ago just feels longer than that i guess.

bigben

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 10:21 »
Last year I sowed direct around March and nothing seemed to come, I then sowed a load more in paper pots on a warm windowsill and they germinated really well. I used my bulb planter and put these outside. Then of course the original stuff popped up and I ended up with lots. I dug up the last of them just last night and froze them in batches after blanching for 10 min. Like someone else said - some were multiple sowings and ended up twined round each other - this made for a long night peeling.

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 21, 2020, 09:15
by jambop
xx
Parsnips

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 06:57
by caro810
xx
Parsnips - help please

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 18:36
by DD.

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 39 queries.