Growing > General Gardening

Ground Elder

(1/2) > >>

casper:
Hi, I havent been on for quite some time due to three house moves in 5 years  Anyway in  my forever house now, a large Garden, but over run with Ground Elder, its like a blanket, I was thinking Visqueen, I know soil will be poor afterwards, but I was thinking it would buy me time to take small chunks each week and clear, Any ideas on this weed that doesnt die even with weedkiller, thanks in advance

Gardener and Rabbit:
I think your plan would work. Alternatively, if you just want to weaken the ground-elder without using lots of membrane, the leaves do scythe or strim down quite easily too, although you'd have to repeat as it regrows. 

I've found glyphosate is effective on ground-elder, and May is the best time to use it, as all the new leaves reach full size and the plant is growing rapidly. If you have a large area to treat, the most economical way may be to buy the concentrate, and mix it to the appropriate strength for ground-elder i.e tough weeds/brush-wood.  There's info on treating ground-elder on the RHS website too.

G&R

mumofstig:
It used to come under the fence from next door, and after a few years of trying to dig it out, every time you break a bit of root of - a new plant grows, I eventually sprayed it all with Doff concentrate Glyphosate and repeated a few times for the few places where it did grow back. Eventually I even sprayed (with permission) on the other side of the fence. I haven't seen any for a few years now..... I don't particularly like to use Glyphosate but it did work.

TonyB.:
Could be worse - could be mares tail - guessing not much help. ;-)

casper:
Thank you, TonyB we have Mares Tail too! We have treated with a concentrated Glyphosphate made up as per instructions, its such a large area, the problem is applying it without missing patches, so i thought a weedkiller, then topped with membrane, then bit by bit dig over, add some nutrients and do some back planting, hoping my plan will work, against the odds as country lane full of Ground Elder outside,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version