Which lawn mower?

• 5 Replies

GraciesGran

Which lawn mower?
« on: May 09, 2023, 16:55 »
Half way through cutting the lawn there were sparks and smell of burning,!

Any ideas on a replacement would be gratefully received.  Is battery an option?  The back lawn is about 20 ft square and the two at the front more or less the same

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Which lawn mower?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 21:46 »
Battery mowers are good, but expensive. For lawns your size, I'd imagine you don't have dificulties using an extension cable?

I have a flymo hover mower because I have slightly uneven / sloping ground. If you have flatter ground, a standard rotary mower would be fine.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 06:01 »
Yorkie, thank you.

An electric would be my favourite but my husband, non-gardening, seems to think battery is the way to go.  A trip out this morning to see what's available.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 06:24 »
We bought this one last year: -

Spear & Jackson 37cm Cordless Rotary Lawnmower - 36V679/6019

The code has changed, but if you Google the title, they have several like this! Argos were marvellous and very quick - next day pick-up in Sainsbury's!

It's a great mower, we don't have as much grass now, but I do outside on the wide grass area by the road as well, and a single charge does at least two cuts! It's really easy to move around, I can easily carry it and it folds up to go under my workbench in a few seconds! Charging is a doddle, and I'd easily reccommend it over a similar Flymo, which failed, had to be replaced, then conked out again so I got a refund from Amazon - eventually, as they stalled a fair bit - and it was not at all satisfactory!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 20:03 »
If he's set on a battery model, consider whether you have other battery operated tools with fairly heavy duty batteries, in case it's worth using one battery for all.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 06:14 »
That's a good point, Yorkie!

I seem to have all sorts of chargers strung around the shed and often wonder if I could interchange - if they fit, that is!

The S & J battery above is quite chunky but lights up well when it needs a re-charge - you just press a button to get a series of lights which tell you how much juice you have left!

xx
lawn mower

Started by rick0331 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 12:47
by Gwiz
xx
Which lawn mower

Started by moggy on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 22:45
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
NEW LAWN MOWER

Started by goose on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 23:14
by Paul Plots
xx
help on choosing a new lawn mower please

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

23 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:49
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 38 queries.