Other gins

• 29 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Other gins
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 18:30 »
Buy 2 bottles and then one can go with the fruit! Also once you have drunk the fruit vodka you have the pickled friut which goes all mushy and is fab in tipsy puddings. Just mix the vodka blackberries with whipped cream and you ahve an instant tipsy fruit fool!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

8doubles

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 15:26 »
Just had a week away and had most of a bag of Glacier mints left over from the car journey, added them to a bottle of gordons and it was very drinkable after two days. :) :)

tallulah

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 17:34 »
I've come in a bit late on this thread! 

Anyway, my sister, years back, would make pineapple gin.  It was so exotic to me then, and I thought it must be incredibly difficult to make.  In a way it was - getting hold of a fresh pineapple in Lincolnshire in the 1970s was a challenge, but making the gin was simplicity - cut up the fresh, skinned pineapple, put in a kilner/preserving jar, add sugar according to your own taste, then gin, then wait!  It was absolutely delicious.

Mmmm - think I'll just pop out for a pineapple and a bottle of gin ...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 11:55 »
Oooh Tallulah!

I do like the sound of this, and once my jars are free from the blackberry brandy will give it a go methinks. :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

8doubles

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 13:00 »
Make sure you get a good pineapple , i was all set to make some yesterday but the fruit was disappointing , very sweet but no flavour.

The gin MIGHT keep till i buy another. :)

coatesi

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 07:58 »
When you can get them use apricots. Apricot gin is brilliant. Six apricots,half a cup of sugar and a bottle of gin. Wait three months(Yeah Right!) and decant off. The Apricots with a large scoop of icecream certainly finishes off a dinner party. Instantly ! ;)
Coatesi
A man that gives up a freedom for the sake of security deserves niether.
 Abraham Lincoln.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 18:35 »
You are all trying to make me drink even more I reckon with these gorgeous gorgeous sounding recipes.... I am goin to have to buy more vinegar, make more chutney or pickles so get the jars to make apricot gin now  :tongue2: :tongue2:

...and it's not my fault  :lol: :lol:

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 11:55 »
Oo these sound delicious.  I've raspberry vodka on the go but I'm sure there are a couple of spare kilner jars in the back of the cupboard!!!

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 03:48 »
Update on my elderberry gin (sorry to rain on the OP's parade!).... It's been in for about 2 months, tastes OK but a bit "woody", expect that to mellow out a bit... might want a bit more sugar in it but not much. Bramble gin, brandy and rum all seem OK, just started an experimental 1 pint bottle (most of the rest are in 2-pint bottles) of sloe bourbon ... will look to see if I can get some blueberries cheap and try blueberry bourbon too....

Has anyone ever made gooseberry gin?

Swing Swang

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 07:23 »
maverick

I've just found a jar of sloe gin that's at least ten years old, still with the sloes in it, must have been put under the stairs when I moved house. Very smooth, no off-tastes. Ten years isn't 'optimum', but certainly isn't a problem.

SS

8doubles

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 09:09 »
I`ve got a bottle of 97 sloe gin in the cupboard and recently opened a bottle of 2000. Very smooth but to be honest i prefer fresh and fruity 3 month old stuff even if it does have a little rough edge to it.

No need to wait too long. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:11 by 8doubles »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 16:21 »
MMmmmmm  :D

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 11:42 »
Has anyone ever made gooseberry gin?

No, but gin and tonic with gooseberry and mint cordial is delicious, so it's worth a try.  (I think it was mint; it was a commercially made cordial, possibly bottlegreen, so should be possible to find out)

I didn't do anything with the elderberries in the end - most of them were unreachable anyway, and I wasn't sure it was worth the effort.  At least the birds will have enjoyed them!

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2009, 20:22 »
Well the pineapple and the gin have met in one of my spare kilner jars - ho ho ho - can't wait.  Just going to make the Bailey's/Dooley's style drink now.  I feel a good evening coming on sampling that!

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 20:27 »
Blackberry & vanilla vodka is a lovely drink to make.

Half fill a bottle with blackberries, add a little sugar, scrape in the seeds from a vanilla pod, & top up with vodka.
Yum.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 34 queries.