Fruit vodka - equipment question

• 26 Replies

HLS

• Experienced Member
Fruit vodka - equipment question
« on: June 08, 2009, 15:17 »
I'm making homemade rhubarb vodka for the first time, and all the ingredients have been in a jar with a rubber seal for about a week now.  The problem is that I've realised that the seal probably isn't airtight: the rubber is just kept against the side by the shape of the lid, not clamped or screwed down in any way.

Does it really need to be in a kilner-type jar (with rubber and clamp) or does it not matter that much?  And is my vodka still OK? (The rhubarb is closer to the colour it goes when cooked than the colour it was when it went in, but otherwise doesn't look like anything too drastic has gone wrong)

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
Re: Fruit vodka - equipment question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 16:37 »
I make basic fruit vodkas (and gins); I would think you are OK with that arrangement. I have several jars going of various mixtures and as long as you don't have metal in contact with your brew, you should be alright.
I've never done rhubarb vodka. I like the sound of it though!

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 16:50 »
Thanks!  What sorts of jars do you use?  I have a couple of kilner-type jars that I was thinking of using but they weren't nearly big enough and the recipe wasn't easy to divide.

It's a recipe from JulieP, here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=36012.0

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 18:03 »
The best vessel I have for that type of recipe is an old sweet jar with a plastic lid - there is plenty of room for shaking. Then I decant the mixture into other screw top bottles once all the mixing is done and ingredients added.
Not sure where you'd get a jar like that from. Do Kilner do 2litre ones?

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 19:18 »
My first foray into fruit vodka was last year.  I didnt have any bottles and made it in empty screw top wines bottles - bit messy getting the fruit and sugar in, but it turned out fine!

Have also made rhubard vodka this year, its about 3 weeks in and it has a very delicate flavour.

Strawberry vodka coming along nicely too.  Raspberry and bramble when we get the fruit!

Trig

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 18:30 »
2 litres is about half gallon, so are these 1/2 gallon jars of any use?
http://www.jamjarshop.com/buy/halfgallonpicklejar

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 19:01 »
Had a look at the link.  Have you seen the postage 8).

I bought a biscuit jar at Tesco's £1., better than kilner jar sizes. Good wide neck and holds 70cl of vodka with space to spare

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 19:36 »
got a big jr of cherry brandy out back its been there since last smmer , when i did last years i used the cherries in a pudding , had a bit of a kick .
chrisie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 09:14 »
Never thought of a biscuit jar - that's a good idea.  Still, the jar I used doesn't seem to have had any ill effect so far, and the rhubarb vodka's been decanted back into the original bottle (plus a little bit in a jam jar) to mature.  It tastes OK but a bit 'raw' at the moment, so I'm hoping it'll mellow a bit.

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 09:32 »
HLS
Ive done rhubarb vodka for the first time.  Not especially impressed with it, but its all about experimenting!
Strawberry  Vodka - uum.  Now onto raspberry!!

smileysal

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 02:09 »
I use demijohns, I've done damson, blackberry, elderberry, blackberry and elderberry mixed, passion fruit and blueberry, wasn't too keen on the passion fruit but apart from that the rest are fabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb hic!
Fancy doing raspberry and strawberry but didn't have enough fruit this year as just moved so patch not well enough established. Loads of damsons in the garden though and the brambles are looking well round the lanes!!!

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 07:48 »
Ive bought a punnet of plums from Tescos and punnet of peaches too.  Would love damsons but none in my area.
Strawberry has turned out tyo be :D wonderful

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 08:13 »
I've always just used well cleaned 2 litre coke bottles or milk bottles and it seems to be working OK.
Milk bottles have a slightly wider neck so it's easier to get fruit and sugar in.
I figure as the main ingredient is alcohol then nothing much can go wrong (opps, that's done it - famous last words and all that).
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 08:36 »
What a good idea willowman - never thought of well washed milk bottles.  Must say am running out of containers.

Have both plum and peach vodka on the go - thought it would be really delicious - but is a bit disappointing. (so far) maybe needs longer to mature than raspberry and strawberry.   Also just started from bramble (blackberry) so am hoping it will work well.

purplejaguar

• Experienced Member
  • I would love some Ducks one day :)
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 22:26 »
I had no idea there you could make vodka from all those different things  :D. I must try something like that, are there any recipes available on here or maybe that people have tried and want to share? Thanks
Chinese Proverb - Man who puts Meat and Peas in same pot, very unhygenic!! ;o)

xx
Odd piece of equipment of brewing equipment?

Started by JohnB on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 21:13
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Fruit wine question

Started by Jabberwock on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 10:33
by Jabberwock
xx
My wine making kit has arrived... (fruit juice question)

Started by Casey76 on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 19:36
by Lardman
xx
Rhubarb Vodka

Started by Riala on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 00:09
by pushrod

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 35 queries.