The Dream Starts Here

• 28 Replies

robertgiles

Cider
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 23:19 »
Got a few trailer loads like this - if its any help, trouble is though i'm in Normandy and everyone round here has the same problem - can't get shut of the apples!
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb278/robertgiles/PCDV0005.jpg
All my containers are bubbling away merrily!!
Happily retired in Calvados Country!!

Bodger

The Dream Starts Here
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 11:13 »
Those look like beautys Rob. I can almost smell them from here. :D

When my new trees start to mature and produce fruit, I'll progress to using barrels for making the cider in, but in the meantime, I'm using the five gallon plastic water bottles that you get in office water dispensers. They come with a water tight top and I simply drill them and fit a wine makers airlock to it. :D

Bodger

The Dream Starts Here
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 09:02 »
Really getting a bit excited now. Kaz and I will be finishing work early today and travelling down to Tenbury. A spot of Farm House B&B in Ludlow this evening and then in the morning we'll be collecting 59 cider and perry trees. :D

Kate and her Ducks

The Dream Starts Here
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 22:48 »
Bet it'll be a fantastic feeling once they are planted but don't envy you the backache of getting almost 60 trees into the ground :shock:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Bodger

The Dream Starts Here
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 06:10 »
Kaz and I turned up at Matthews Nursery, Tenbury Wells just after 9.00 am this Saturday. What a place, they must have millions of trees.

And here they are safely back at home in the barn ready for planting tomorrow.   :thumright:

The trees look very good and are excellent value.  :D

Fast forward 24 hours to yesterday.

A giant thank you to my mates Blind Pugh, Hawkeye, Mrs Hawkeye and the kids. It really was a case of many hands making light work. Well fairly light work anyway.  :D   We planted 57 trees today.

Blind Pugh and Hawkeye.

Mrs Hawkeye

Even the kids got stuck in.

Talking of getting stuck in, it was soon time for a teabreak.

The table was my Mark 7 chicken pen. Commissions taken.  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  

After several hours digging,we all had that warm glow of a job having been well done. I was really pleased with the results. I can almost see and taste that first pint of cider.  :drunken:  
I've just realised that the warm glow that I'm feeling, is coming from blistered hands and a knackered back.  :lol:  
Note the very necessary rabbit guards

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
The Dream Starts Here
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 09:31 »
What shape are you pruning to Bodger ?

Bodger

The Dream Starts Here
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 10:04 »
Err ! I'll have to read the next chapter of my book to work that one out :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Ideally, I'd be able to con  :shock: oops I mean persuade some knowledgble tree pruner, of the merits of an ejoyable weekend by the sea in an 18th century Welsh Cottage. :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
The Dream Starts Here
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 10:47 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

SkipRat

The Dream Starts Here
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 19:02 »
I,m VERY VERY impressed Bodger, I really do hope it works out for you. I,m very sure your dream will come true.  :D  :D
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

alibean

• Experienced Member
The Dream Starts Here
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 16:42 »
Feeling very inspired - if only I had the space - best of luck Bodger...

Incidentally, I'm a big stong Kentish lass who can weild a spade/fork with wellie - if there'r any good fishing spots nearby for his nibs....

Sure you will have lots of fun 'sampling' the proceeds of your efforts!

Bodger

The Dream Starts Here
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 12:11 »
Anytime you fancy a trip and the sea fishing can be very good here in the summer :thumright:

Bodger

Re: The Dream Starts Here
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 16:20 »
I've decided to buy this

http://www.vigopresses.co.uk/store/product_info.php?cPath=63_77&products_id=367

To go with this and one or two other pieces of equipment.

http://www.vigopresses.co.uk/store/product_info.php?cPath=63_78&products_id=411

I've waited long enough and reckon that this size of equipment should hopefully fit in with the kind of profitable hobby that I have in mind. I'll need lots of help with things like label design, web site construction, free labour and advice  ::) I hope to make both cider and apple juice and havent really got much idea about regulations. This autumns efforts will be a damp sort of a dry run.  :)

I hope that a few of my OTG and Lotty friends will feel the need to muck in and have a good time.  The main thing is that its going to be a fun thing to do with cider weekends by the sea and the odd hog roast with apple fed pigs thrown in.  :)

Come on down if you think you can stand up long enough.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 16:29 by Bodger »

David.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 20:22 »
I've decided to buy this

http://www.vigopresses.co.uk/store/product_info.php?cPath=63_77&products_id=367

To go with this and one or two other pieces of equipment.

http://www.vigopresses.co.uk/store/product_info.php?cPath=63_78&products_id=411

I've seen the earlier (stainless steel) version of the electric mill break down and cause a complete halt to pressing - maybe you should have mechanical backup?

I've got one of Vigo's pasteurisers, and would have thought the juice would also be quite profitable. I do about 100 galls p.a. using one of these:
http://www.vigopresses.co.uk/store/product_info.php?cPath=60_80&products_id=388

But what about apple wine? - just add a little sugar, or does that involve a whole load of additional regulations? (I find pasteurising biennual cropping eating/cooking apple juices invaluable here).

Ropster

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 09:10 »
We have the Vigo 12 Litre Press and Crusher B for our home requirements, made 100litres last Autumn which is going down nicely.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 35 queries.