Copper Black Chick 5 toes and webbed feet

• 3 Replies

splash101

Copper Black Chick 5 toes and webbed feet
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:54 »
Eggs in the incubators are still hatching and we're doing well so far.

The latest one to hatch this morning has been squawking a fair bit (they're still in the incubator drying off) this squawking is different to the "i've arrived" cheaping.

Just taken a closer look and it has 5 toes on each foot all pointing forward and webbed feet. It doesnt seem to be able to move around properly either each time it tries to get up it flips on its back and cannot correct itself. I've turned it  over a couple of times to no avail. Probably because the toes are all pointing forward but the legs are looking a bit awkward too.

I presume that because the toes face forward it wont be able to walk let alone perch.

Is it best to put it out of its misery now?

kegs

Re: Copper Black Chick 5 toes and webbed feet
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:38 »
Aw the poor thing - and poor you too.   :(

If it can't stand on its own though, it also means it won't be able to get to its food or water........ I think you know the answer really but it's so sad.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:40 »
are you sure of the breed of the eggs? Perhaps the person who you got them off had a stray male get to their hens. Have you asked them about it?
If it isn't splay/spraddle leg (which I am assuming you have checked out) then sadly you may have to do the deed.
Staffies are softer than you think.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:59 »
thanks for your replies.

i see what you mean about stray cokerels, the chick looks like the other ones that have hatched, if it was just the webbed feet and five toes i would probably have given it more hope.

I took it out of the incubator as it was quite frantic and i didnt want the others to get hurt. On closer inspection the legs are not good at all. they are sticking out at right angles from the hip joint (do they have hips?), not splay leg, have seen that before

i put it in the brooder to see if it could move about but it flipped on its back and didnt really make any attempt to move after that. Therefore unable to move towards or away from heat, find water / food so have done the kindest thing. I think it was pretty exhausted from hatching as well it took the best part of 24 hours

On a more positive note, all of the 12 eggs hatched which was far more than i expected and so far only 1 of 12 welsummers has hatched today on day 22 (knew last week the welsummers may be a bit iffy but was hoping for more than 1. wil leave them a while longer)

xx
webbed feet

Started by Geo on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post November 17, 2013, 21:55
by Geo
xx
pekin chick has deformed toes

Started by Julias hens on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 22:32
by Julias hens
xx
Copper Black Marans.

Started by Elyssian on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 21:59
by Elyssian
xx
Copper black Marrans

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 21, 2015, 18:16
by snow white

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 37 queries.