Hotbeds

• 3 Replies
Hotbeds
« on: February 03, 2010, 18:42 »
Anyone out there tried using a hotbed?  Built using fresh manure and then covered with soil/compost mix into which seeds/plants are placed.  The idea is the breakdown of the manure raises the temperature of the bed allowing plants be be grown early in the year.
with all this cold weather I thought it might be worth a try. I have lots of fresh manure!

cob nut

• Experienced Member
Re: Hotbeds
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 20:04 »
We haven't tried this ourselves but our lottie neighbour did last year & got some amazing results, he had carrots, beetroot, lettuce & radish etc., long before anyone else & the carrots were a good size.

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 05:19 »
Tried this a couple of years ago when one of my compost heaps started to generate quite a bit of heat. The heap was pallet sided so was easy to cover with a 10” layer of compost which carrots were sown in. Out of memory I think the carrots were called Resistafly which produced excellent results. Slugs were the only problem which popped out of the compost heap every night until I attacked them with a torch and secateurs. I thought I would try again this year so filled the compost heap with horse muck last November but as yet no signs of any heat build up but I guess it’s been too cold! Definitely worth trying and helps using a space not normally used for growing.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 18:26 »
Thanks for the information.  I will give it a try, and keep a look out for slugs.

xx
HOTBEDS

Started by cAnAry53 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 16:52
by DIGGER
xx
Any Advice On Hotbeds Please

Started by Teen76 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 08, 2009, 21:46
by peapod

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 39 queries.