Re using potting compost

• 7 Replies

Barry C

• Experienced Member
Re using potting compost
« on: February 21, 2017, 10:34 »
Been wondering about recycling potting compost from trays/tubs/containers.

My raised salad bed is very well topped up now, the compost from the Dalek has been spread around the garden and I'll re fill it as the year progresses.

I have a builders bag ( we had a ton of gravel delivered for a project ) which I was thinking of topping up with used potting compost, grass clippings etc and just top it up over the year giving a stir as I go along. Basically using it as a compost bin, but only using peat and grass clippings. Have a space out of sight but handy for the greenhouse. Obviously would need a handful or two of general fertiliser before re using.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Re using potting compost
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 10:48 »
I'm not sure if the grass clippings would rot that well when mixed with used compost  :unsure:  Usually grass needs something bulky and airy like shredded paper or woodier green waste, to make sure it doesn't become a smelly mess.

I've got some containers that need emptying as well and I was going to use them to top a compost bin or 2 that I have been filling over the winter.  I did this last year and grew squashes in the top of the bins, which romped away  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 10:59 »
I agree with NS, how about using it to add a layer in the compost bins every now & again. Or I use it as a soil conditioner in the garden & plot, I just make sure I don't add the spent compost from tomatoes on the front forthcoming  potato plot
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Barry C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:04 »
Food for thought, was trying as much as anything to find a use for this huge sack?

They're pretty sturdy and builders merchants don't want them returning, might make a good leaf bin at the back end  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 17:02 »
A chap at our site used it as a compost bag, nailed the 4 handles to 4 stout posts & got filling, in fact he had 4 together with 1 post in the middle fir all 4 to be fastened to. He must have slit the bags though to get the compost out although I never saw him do it but they all disappeared at about the same time

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 11:41 »
I've used mine when I have shredded twigs, woody prunings etc and because the rain can get into them, it rots down very nicely.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 13:48 »
My tomato compost gets sieved to remove small roots, mixed 50/50 with sand and used for container grown carrots.

I do not think re composting will be good as to much inert material will cool the heap and slow the process.

A good layer at the base will soak up leached nutrients on open composters though.

mrsbean

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 21:42 »
Have used said bags in the past for general clearing clumps of grass, woody stuff chopped up anything went in apart from weed roots. Took a while to rot down, but kept things tidy. Opened up bags make great covers for manure heaps and covering raised beds that are not in use.

xx
Re-potting cacti - what compost?

Started by maloneranger on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 13:10
by maloneranger
xx
Best compost for potting-on begonia plug plants.

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2024, 08:42
by Goosegirl
xx
potting on

Started by AmandaLouise on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 22:21
by AmandaLouise
xx
Potting on cosmos

Started by poohpouri on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 21:01
by Spana

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 29 queries.