Hose pipe fittings

• 3 Replies

MoreWhisky

Hose pipe fittings
« on: April 20, 2009, 13:27 »
Well the time has come when i need a 30m hose pipe as dont want to be filling a watering can all day.

Im going to go buy one and what i would like some help with is the spray end gizmo (whatever they are called  :unsure: ).
I want one that gives a fine spray when needed and i would also like it not to leek water everywhere when im not pulling the triger.

Have seen lots of makes and prices but having no experience of these im sure some work lots better than others, any tips on which ones to avoid and which ones are good would be real helpfull.

Cheers MW.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Hose pipe fittings
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 15:42 »
I have one of these:

Hozelock Ultra 12: 2686 Spray Gun

I actually use all / most of the spray patterns, so not as much of a gimmick as I thought it might be when I bought it

"Powerful Jet for cleaning" - I suppose as powerful as putting your finger over the end of the hose. I use it for "further reach" to get a jet of water to a plant at the back of the bed - although its quite powerful when it arrives of course!

"Fast fill for filling up buckets and watering cans" - behaved like using the tap - without having to take the nozzle off

"Fine mist for seedlings" - actually just a fine mist.  Works for seedlings as stated, and also for creating a more humid atmosphere / reducing temperature

"High definition brass rose for gentle watering" - no, its not "gentle watering" - although if I half-press the trigger it is fairly gentle, but its not a patch on my Haws watering can's rose.  This is what I use routinely for watering plants in the greenhouse.  It works well if I can direct it onto the soil in the pot, but if watering the leaves, particularly of small plants, it needs some care

"Fan spray for rinsing soap off cars" - Haven't tried washing the car! but it works as per the "Fine mist" above, just delivers more water, and larger droplets.  Great for damping the foliage of everything - which I do from about now to June to increase the humidity which stops the plants transpiring too much.

" Cone spray for delicate watering" - not sure I actually use this at all

"PLUS an aerated "champagne" flow for high volume watering with no disturbance of the compost." - this works very well.  Equivalent of the tap mode - single stream of water - but broken up by air bubbles so watering direct into a large plant's pot doesn't cause all the compost to be chucked out!

They do one with a metal fitting as well, but mine has lasted (touch wood!) for three seasons now

Mine also has a dial on the back of the trigger which adjusts the water pressure - so I can throttle back to, say, 50% and then use the trigger on full-squeeze.  I do use this occasionally. There is also a lock to hold the trigger ON, and that works at half-squeeze too - so I can leave it filling a watering can, slowly, whilst I water from the other can, or walk to the tap to turn it off.

Like all these fittings it isn't perfectly water tight if "off" (i.e. the mains tap is still On)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 17:08 by Kristen »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 16:31 »
I had one of those ..till i managed to break it >:(
I replaced it with a similar 1 from Wilko, seems to do the same job but for much less £ :)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 21:22 »
Thats like the one i bought but the metal one, very impressed with it and like all the different sprays.

Bit dear tho at £17 but when i release the triger it doesnt leak at all.

Made watering so much easier , especialy the 48m of spuds ive got in!

xx
Hose pipe recommendations please

Started by ghost61 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 08, 2016, 11:20
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Hose pipes

Started by cc on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2019, 09:28
by sunshineband
xx
Spray hose

Started by Nij48 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 20:13
by grendel
xx
Hose connection

Started by Lavender Lass on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2018, 11:49
by jezza

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.