poorly chicken? please help

• 4 Replies

ma baker

poorly chicken? please help
« on: August 11, 2010, 14:27 »
One of my chickens has suddenly become very quiet and not interested in food in the last hour she passed a small amount of mucous with bright yellow scrambled egg looking solids (like a breast fed baby poo if anyone out there knows what that looks like) about a teaspoon amount.  I have looked at the poo pictures but none seem to fit the bill and none of my chicken books are any help. steves crop is empty and i found what looked like a piece of wet paper i the run but on closer inspection was stretchy and like an empty sausage skin not sure if it belonged to steve though. if anyone has any ideas as to problem i would be most grateful. chooks are all vaccinated and wormed. thanks in advance. ma baker.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: poorly chicken? please help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 14:35 »
sounds like she has laid a softee, best to place her in a sink of warm water, and let her relax there for about 40 minutes. This will help her muscles relax so she can pass the remains of it. Then blow dry on a warm not hot setting.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ma baker

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 20:07 »
Thanks for that joyfull, sorry for late reply my pc picked up a nasty virus and has spent 3 days at the pc hospital! costs more than a vet visit! did as advised and steve picked up enough to break out of her enclosure and visit the local play park! one new fence later and all seems to be ok. thanks again for great advice i had thought a softee would be just an egg with no shell and just the membrane i am learning all the time! they have ground shell to munch so was it just one of those things or am i doing something wrong? ma baker.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 20:10 »
it could have been just one of those things, however if she lays another then I would suggest getting some limestone flour - just a small pinch a day for about 5-7 days to help firm up her shells  :)

ma baker

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 09:58 »
Thanks again joyfull , I will keep an eye on her she seems to be ok now. Keeping chickens sure makes you paranoid! lol

xx
poorly chicken

Started by French gardener on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 22:25
by Fisherman
xx
Poorly Chicken

Started by Sarah C on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 21:05
by Pretty Chick
xx
Help! Poorly Chicken!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 06:13
by Very new to chickens!
clip
Poorly looking Chicken

Started by Nikkithefoot on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2018, 10:39
by New shoot

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 35 queries.