fig tree and who to order from?

• 20 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: fig tree and who to order from?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 16:13 »
I'd get the money back as well, if you can.
Though, potted up and given a bit of protection from the worst of the frosts, I bet it will romp away. I'd prune it at the point where it bends, unless you want a tree with a clear trunk.

Ken Muir has a useful pdf guide
http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/image/data/pdf/Growing%20Guides/FigsNew.pdf

Swing Swang

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 07:21 »
That twig will grow though even though it was not what you ordered - plant the lower section horizontally about 6"-8" deep with the bent bit vertically sticking through the ground - protect it from the frosts for the next month or two and it will romp away. You actually don't even need the root - so you could cut it in half and end up with two plants - just plant the upper section horizontally with the tip poking through the ground and it will take.

Nobbie

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 11:45 »
I've arranged a partial refund from the seller and have potted it up. May chop off the top bit and try to root that as well as I don't think the root is big enough to support that length of stem and it will give me another plant to grow in a container. Thanks for the useful info, I've told the girlfriend not to get her hopes up too soon about fruit, luckily the 5 years waiting for the plum tree to fruit has dampened her expectations :D

Nobbie

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 10:18 »
Thought I'd update to let you know how it went. Got half the £18 refunded by the seller and chopped off the top half before planting in a pot and putting up in the unheated loft room. Buds started to break and so I've moved it to a warm sunny windowsill and you can almost see it growing  :D

I cut the other bit into two, the middle section planted horizontally and is rooting and the top bit vertically.

I've built my 'fig pot', but I'll probably grow it on inside the greenhouse for it's first year before transplanting next spring.

Plenty of wall to cover and it's south facing, so should get plenty of sun and a bit of frost protection - Yes, I know I need to give my greenhouse a bit of a clean :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2016, 10:26 »
Now*you have to renew the roof on the outhouse so you can get on it to pick the figs ! :)

* In the next five years !

Nobbie

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 12:00 »
Now*you have to renew the roof on the outhouse so you can get on it to pick the figs ! :)

* In the next five years !

Yes,

I don't think I need to rush that job :lol:

xx
Tall order in short order

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 13:49
by digalotty
xx
Order placed

Started by PAH48 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post November 08, 2008, 20:59
by Bombers
xx
Order of hardyness

Started by chimaera on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 17:46
by pink aubergine
xx
Got my seed order done

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 00:29
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 35 queries.