Bullies

• 7 Replies

pepsi100

Bullies
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:37 »
I have 8 hens, they are about 3 months old, maybe a shade over, they are all just sort of laying,

Last week I introduced 4 more hens, these are quite a bit younger and quite a bit different looking than the other 8, but they are really getting a hard time from a couple of the others, these new ones are about a month younger

Anyway I can stop these little 'uns being poicked on ? They seem to be getting fed when the others are out of the weay, they have picked a spot to roost each night,

Its just in the mornings they are huddled in the corner,

When I open the hatch to let the others out they feed, but if any of the others come in they go back intro the corner, they havent been out into the run yet, as they get chased all over the place

Suggestions please
It's all about the journey, not the destination

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Bullies
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 12:25 »
Did you quarantine the new hens for a few weeks before introducing them pepsi?  It is always best to do that even if you have hatched them yourself you can keep them apart but within sight of your others so they get used to the sight and sound of each other.

If they are eating and drinking and not getting pecked so it draws blood they should be fine.  Put a few feeders and drinkers spaced out so they have more chance to get enough food and water during the day.  Having areas where they can hide away from the bullies is a good idea as well.  Hopefully they will all find their position in the flock but there will always be one at the bottom of the pecking order.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 12:42 »
Didnt have the room, I left them wandering around for the day, they all just kept themselves in groups, was only until bed time they had a bust up

But the bigger ones have their poles they sleep on, the others use the nest boxes,

There is plenty of places they choose to get away from the crowd, but its just these 2 that seem to like tormenting them

There are food and drinkers everywhere, they seem to be eating well, its only 2 that are the bullies though, I was thinking of putting them into solitary for 48 hours ;)

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 16:29 »
I don't think you will need to, it is normal for a bit of domineering behaviour from existing birds they are defending their territory.  You only need to intervene if there are any injuries or they are unable to feed and drink.

You could try putting the newbies on the roost poles after dark (not dusk) when everyone is dozy.  Do that for a week and see if they get the idea and roost there themselves.   ;)

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 16:38 »
 :) I tried that, but they seem to like sitting on the edge of the nest boxes, facing inwards, noew that beats me why  :)

Well they are eating and drinking and no feathers or blood anywhere, so I guess they are at the bottom of the pecking order (until they get big enough to sort out a new pecking order  :) :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 16:44 »
They sit like that to protect their heads from being pecked.  A feathery bottom is a lot more protected!   :lol:

Just persist with putting them on the roost as it will be better for them in the long run.  They should give up before you do!   :unsure:

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 16:59 »
Oh, c'mon, they are females, I got no chance  :) :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 17:10 »
Oh, c'mon, they are females, I got no chance  :) :)

That is exactly why pepsi, you give up to easily and anything for an easy life.   :lol:

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 29 queries.