New electricity and heating system

• 47 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: New electricity and heating system
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2011, 11:09 »
Years ago there was a study that reckoned improving insulation would create more jobs per pound spent than new power stations to provide energy. Seems to me we could knock back the unemployment levels a bit by investing in insulation as a nation.

I had a chat with our builder (they're doing some work on the house) about extra loft insulation and he said condensation can be a problem if there is inadequate ventilation in the loft space.

Since they're re-rendering the gable end of the house we also talked about external insulation. He said the local councils had been doing a lot of it but problems were showing up as the underlying insulation was moving and causing the render applied over it to crack. Basically he would do it if we wanted but not guarantee it.

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 12:49 »
A big problem to look out for with external/internal insulation applied to exisitng walls is interstitial condensation. This is caused when 2 layers of insulation are introduced into a property with another layer of material between them and no ventilation (i.e. a brick/block cavity wall that is insulated in the cavity which then has a layer of insulation introduced externally or internally leaving) . Water vapour will condense between the layers rendering the insulation worthless and/or causing internal damage/damp.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2011, 11:15 »
Our walls are stone & rubble. They built two dry stone walls and filled in between them with rubble and sub-soil. Not exactly energy efficient or waterproof. DPC? Don't make me laugh!

When I get chance, I'll do a cost benefit calculation on internal insulation of that wall. I suspect it won't make economic sense.

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.