Empty bed

• 6 Replies

Lardman

Empty bed
« on: June 21, 2017, 14:51 »
I've got a 6'x2' bed empty and I'm struggling to find anything to fill it.  :ohmy: I'm a wash with tomatoes but I forgot (didn't bother)  to sow anything like peppers or chillis this year and all my salad sowings have failed, which Im assuming is the heat.

Suggestions ? I'll want it clear over winter as I'll be moving the GH.

jaydig

Re: Empty bed
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 15:56 »
Dwarf beans, herbs such as dill, coriander, parsley, etc.   Maybe wait until a little cooler and try spinach, or re-sow mixed lettuce as a cut and come again patch?

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 17:00 »
Sweetcorn,chard,spring onions,fennel?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 17:05 »
A butternut or other squash, cucumber, melon?  I'm sure it would catch up in the heat of a greenhouse.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 17:44 »
A butternut or other squash, cucumber, melon?  I'm sure it would catch up in the heat of a greenhouse.

Or just in his heat lol, man nearest planted out yet! They need to wait until it's a bit cooler until I've got the energy to plant them, I made them a comfy bed yesterday

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 18:09 »
dwarf beans certainly, basil to make soup with the toms you are awash with. I always get some cabbage plants ready for any bed space overwinter -- not sure when you move yours but if you have plants stood by ready......
Carrots used as fingerlings. Courgettes possibly. If the move will be a quick one you could soon try potatoes in bags/pots and then move over to have new potatoes at the winter festival meal.
Certainly any salad greens or radish and chard will grow when too hot for spinach. Good luck.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 18:44 »
Basil sown yesterday, Cukes and spring onions last weekend - but there's the allium leaf miner issue.

The only carrots I have are "atomic red" and they're foul.

I was tempted for DFB but I've already put 12 CFB's out so it feels a little overkill, same with the chard.

It's only 4' to the eves so corn is probably out.

I'm tempted to try a courgette - the 3 sowings I've made all failed and I'd given up. Just checked the seed box and I have some spineless beauty left - google says just 46 days to crop ??  :unsure: if they germinate.

There's no room to plant out brassicas here  :( and I could put spuds in pots in the bottom GH. Those of you with full GH's would kill me if you saw how much space I'm wasting this year.  :blush:

xx
raised bed empty ?

Started by smellykipper on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post September 18, 2013, 23:49
by 3759allen
xx
Watering empty beds?

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post March 08, 2014, 21:15
by grinling
xx
An entire empty border.

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post June 22, 2018, 08:07
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 41 queries.