Dehydrated soup mix

• 2 Replies

shewolf

Dehydrated soup mix
« on: August 28, 2016, 13:25 »
Hi 'yall!
This is a request for feedback if anyone has tried anything similar.
I'm into the idea of resilience and preserving my produce without the use of prolonged electricity (not freezing everything) and using my dehydrator (I've an Excalibur dehydrator)
This year I'm experimenting with finding new ways to use surplus produce, so I'm making a dried soup/quick casserole mix.
My onion crop got downy mildew, so we rescued what we could and I've chopped, slow-roasted them and dehydrated them. 
Ditto with my prolific courgettes; french and cherokee beans I've chopped and blanched them, then dehydrated them (I've dehydrated them raw before, but they need overnight soaking to reconstitute them)
I'm now dehydrating parsley before it starts to seed and the bounteous plants die off.
Once all that's dry enough, I'll mix it up and put into jars to keep.
Anyone any idea how long this will keep?
I tossed the onions and courgette pieces in olive oil before roasting, so the mix is quite oily, so they might not keep as long as dry roasted or dry dehydrated veg.
Any comments?
Any comments on using onions which were diseased? (they don't seem to have done us any harm so far!)
Thankyou and hope you are all having a good Bank Holiday weekend :-)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Dehydrated soup mix
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 08:32 »
I've made mixed soup/casserole mixes before in the dehydrator, but never used oil on the produce.  Its a good way to use ends of crops that wouldn't make a jar full on their own.    Mixes without oil keep for months and months.  Maybe storing in the fridge would help keep the oil fresh  :unsure:

If you have cleaned up, cooked and then dried the onions, I'm sure they are OK.  All that processing would have removed and then killed fungal spores.

Drying herbs is well worthwhile as well.  I keep parsley in the unheated greenhouse over winter, so I don't dehydrate that, but I have done a large jar of mint and some italian seasoning  :)

DanielCoffey

Re: Dehydrated soup mix
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 22:07 »
See if you can get a copy of "Making and Using Dried Foods" by Phyllis Hobson. It will almost certainly be out of print but you may find Ex Libris copies in Amazon Marketplace.

In fact, a quick peek shoes Used copies for £0.02 plus postage. See if you can find a UK seller.

xx
Dehydrated Onions

Started by Aidy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 01, 2018, 22:11
by grinling
xx
Is dehydrated scrambled egg any good?

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post January 05, 2013, 21:09
by Swing Swang
xx
pureed cooked and dehydrated beans.

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 19:22
by Madame Cholet
xx
Serious soup...

Started by Growster... on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2016, 16:06
by Growster...

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 39 queries.