Shorten a Door

• 10 Replies

ryetek

Shorten a Door
« on: November 27, 2014, 11:14 »
We've just had a new carpet fitted in our living room. This has made our "under-the-stairs" cupboard door hard to open as the new carpet is slightly more raised than the old carpet was. Unfortunately I'm not particularly great at DIY and I'm looking for ideas of how to take a small amount of wood off the bottom of the door to stop it from sticking on the carpet when opened.

This may seem easy at first but the complication is that the door is constructed such that it does not have a piece of wood running horizontally across the bottom of the door (otherwise it would have been dead easy to plane some wood off). The door is constructed with individual (tongue and groove) boards that run vertically from top to bottom. This would mean that if I try to plane the bottom of the door I'd be going across several boards and against the grain. As far as I can see this wouldn't end well. Furthermore I cannot raise the door up on it's hinges as it's already snug fit within it's outer frame.

I've had a look around on t'Internet but most suggestions show using a plane or belt-sander or even a circular saw in some cases to reduce the door. I think a circular saw would take too much off although a belt-sander may work but I don't have one. I've already explained why I don't think a plane would work.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could take a few millimetres of wood off the bottom of the door without ruining it?

snowdrops

Re: Shorten a Door
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 11:53 »
Could you just use a jig- saw to take the required amount off. I think that is what hubby would do & he's a chippy :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grendel

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 12:37 »
if the vertical boards dont have gaps it may be possible to plane from the outside edges towards the centre, this avoids planeing the end grain to an unsupported edge and splitting it out, alternatively clamp a couple of sacrificial blocks at the ends so you support the edges you don't want to ruin. if you have a hand plane angle the blade at 45 degrees to the direction of travel so it has a more knife like action. a good trick is to mark the line to plane to with a sharp knife, this cuts the grain and helps prevent the edges splitting out as you plane the end grain.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 15:25 »
I'd use my trusty jigsaw, as snowdrops said  ;)

LotuSeed

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 16:21 »
What kind of wood is the door made of? How thick is it? If it were me, I'd remove the door and use a circular saw to get the extra wood off and to make sure I'd get a straight cut.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 17:55 »
are you lucky enough to have a space at the top so you can lift the hinges a bit??
If not then careful marking and a sharp saw seems the only way to go.
R

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 20:33 »
Saw it off with a sharp fine toothed saw, mark both side off the door where the cut is needed and on the reverse of the door carefully score above the line with a stanley knife to stop the grain chipping out when you are sawing.
Wrap a piece of sanding sheet around a block of wood to smooth any remaining rough edges.

Jobs a good 'un ! :)

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 20:50 »
Do you ever pass by Leeds? If so, bring the door to me and I will trim it off for you.

I ask that because a 100 mile round trip is not worth the cost of a new saw which would do the job admirably - but I have the experience and tools to do the job well - quickly, too - you'd be in and out within 10 minutes.
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 21:37 »
How many is a few mm? a power saw blade is going to run you 3-5mm.

Not sure how pretty things need to be but have you looked at "rising butt hinges"  they may just give you enough slack.

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 08:10 »
How many is a few mm? a power saw blade is going to run you 3-5mm.

Not sure how pretty things need to be but have you looked at "rising butt hinges"  they may just give you enough slack.

Trouble is you normally have to chamfer the back edge of the top to get rising butt hinges to operate !

A fine handsaw is the way i have done it for the past 40 years as a carpenter . :)

ryetek

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 08:34 »
Thank you for all the replies.

I'm pretty sure a jigsaw would do the trick but I'm not that talented at DIY as I've already said and I may have "driving" problems with one  :lol:

A circular saw may work but I only need to take off about 3mm. Furthermore I don't have one and don't know anyone that does but thanks for the suggestion.

Lardman I've never even heard of "rising butt hinges" until you pointed this out. I've had a look round t'Internet at these things now. I think the problem with these is that the carpet goes right under the door and in to the under-the-stairs cupboard. Therefore it's immediately rubbing if you see what I mean. Also do the hinges start to raise the door immediately when you open it? If so the door is inset in to an outer frame so it might rub on the top of the frame if it lifts too quickly. Never-the-less thanks for the suggestion.

I think the easiest solution that I think I can do is as per 8doubles suggestion and I'm going to try that. Thanks for that.

Kevin, thanks for your offer. It's very good of you but as you say a 100 mile round trip really isn't worth it. Still thanks again.

Again thank you for all suggestions. It's really helped and I've learnt some new stuff along the way  :)

xx
Converting a panel door to a glazed door

Started by Ice on Design and Construction

40 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 07:21
by Aunt Sally
xx
heavy door can I use it?

Started by Madame Cholet on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post November 24, 2011, 09:20
by arugula
xx
Polytunnel door zip gone - help!

Started by Middlesexbloke on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 10:43
by Lardman
xx
Greenhouse door runners

Started by Axe on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2011, 20:47
by Slowgrind

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 36 queries.