Droppings - The Chicken Keeper's Guide

• 161 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: 4. Poo - The Chicken Keeper's Guide
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2010, 11:18 »
Take a picture of it and post it for us to see.  Some one here will have seen similar before :)

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2010, 09:40 »
Wow, what a brilliant set of poop pics!

Being new to this I was a bit worried to see a slightly bricky red poo this morning, but according to the pics it is normal.  I am amazed at the smell of some of the poo - especially when you're sitting on the grass watching them at close quarters!

Thanks Aunty.  :D

saribird

« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2010, 19:37 »
Thanks for this sticky, Saw a poop with quite pinkish red bits in..worried me, and then saw the piccies, so not worried now, Ta x x x

rachelr

« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2010, 19:42 »
  :)same here very greatful for pickies makes it a lot easier when you are a little worried

TeaPots

« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2010, 21:01 »
Wow, what a brilliant set of poop pics!

Being new to this I was a bit worried to see a slightly bricky red poo this morning, but according to the pics it is normal.  I am amazed at the smell of some of the poo - especially when you're sitting on the grass watching them at close quarters!

Thanks Aunty.  :D

And there is nothing on earth quite as rich as the pong of broody poop...recently trodden on!!

maa1946

« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2011, 13:03 »
These pics are really helpful. I got 2 ex batts. end of Nov. and they have been producing poos with  blood in. I was really worried (although they have feathered up and are very bright and eating well). However, I can see that this looks like they are shedding some intestine lining. This was something I had never noticed with my previous birds. Do you have any idea how long it takes before their combs stand up? They look much firmer than when I first got them, but would be nice to see them looking like 'proper' chickens. Also do you reckon they will start laying again. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2011, 13:08 »
I got 4 rescues and their combs took a month or two to stand up, as for laying you may have to wait until about March (only 2 of mine still lay as the other 2 laid lashes straight away  ::)).
Staffies are softer than you think.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2011, 15:17 »
Bright green poo, anyone?!

Any ideas of the cause? There are one or two dotted around, and a sorry looking ex-batt (now three years old) who's moulting, but no-one else shows any sign of ill health.

And of course we're just about to go away for half term ... :(
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 15:21 by beulah59 »
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2011, 15:22 »
It's quite a big dollop so she must be eating.

She's either:

eaten a lot of greens;

got worms;

or has a liver/digestive problem.

Support her through the moult and possibly worm if you have some flubenvet handy.

kerridwen

« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2011, 02:45 »
Okay I've read through the thread. I now have a question about worms......

Can the worms that chickens get be passed on to humans?

I've not got chickens yet, they're due to hatch in about a week but I'd just like to know as I have two toddlers and I'd prefer them to stay worm free.

Thanks

Lorna

hillfooter

« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2011, 03:07 »
Okay I've read through the thread. I now have a question about worms......

Can the worms that chickens get be passed on to humans?

I've not got chickens yet, they're due to hatch in about a week but I'd just like to know as I have two toddlers and I'd prefer them to stay worm free.

Thanks

Lorna

Worms infest birds via the things they eat either directly by eating the worms eggs or by eating an intermediate host like an earth worm or insect which carries the eggs.  It's a cyclic infestation so worms don't live and breed within a host chicken they just spend the adult part of their life cycle within a chicken so unless they pick up the eggs they won't get the worms.  The same goes for your toddlers. 

To ensure your birds don't get worms you need to break the cycle either by regularly moving the birds to worm free land or killing the adult worms within the bird (ie worming).
HF
Truth through science.

kerridwen

« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2011, 09:50 »

Worms infest birds via the things they eat either directly by eating the worms eggs or by eating an intermediate host like an earth worm or insect which carries the eggs.  It's a cyclic infestation so worms don't live and breed within a host chicken they just spend the adult part of their life cycle within a chicken so unless they pick up the eggs they won't get the worms.  The same goes for your toddlers. 

To ensure your birds don't get worms you need to break the cycle either by regularly moving the birds to worm free land or killing the adult worms within the bird (ie worming).
HF

Thanks ever so much for that.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2011, 11:04 »
Chicken worms will not infect humans so nothing to fear. 

Good hand hygiene with all pets is advisable to prevent bacterial infections.

stoutfamily

« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2011, 01:03 »
I'm a little concerned about one of my two chicks.  :unsure: I had my only grown chicken, a hen, die a couple nights ago from what I'm fairly sure was coccidiosis. She had runny poo for a day or two and then she started straining and having darker blood in her stool, to sometimes only blood coming out.
My chicks didn't come in contact with her or her poo very much and are on medicated started.

I've got one girl who seems to be having poo that is a bit more watery than usual and some that are nearly all white. I'm pretty sure it's only one since I've seen the other poo a bunch today and they were all normal.

Here's some examples:

All watery, white

A little drier but can see the white ring around it.

This one is from yesterday. I thought it was probably caecal and when I cleaned it up I didn't see any red or blood, but it is unusual as compared to what they have been pooing.

Both chicks are acting fine and I've seen them eat and drink.
I have some stuff called Cocci-Rid which is 2.5% amprolium and I did give the chicks a little just in case.
I may just be a little paranoid after having lost my hen but I'm just trying to be cautious. Don't want to lose these girls too!

Thanks for any advice or help!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2011, 07:49 »
if they are on medicated feed you should never give them any other anti cocci medication as they won't work. Just keep an eye on her and if you do see cocci blood in her poo then stop her medicated feed get some organic chic crumb (this is not medicated) and then start treatment. Medicated feed does not stop them getting all types of cocci.

xx
Spoilt for Choice - A guide to Chicken Breeds Part 1. Hybrids or Pure Breeds

Started by Foxy on Poultry FAQs and other Information

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 00:33
by Lindeggs
xx
chicken Vs egg

Started by babe on Poultry FAQs and other Information

16 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 14:07
by Yorkie
xx
DIY chicken coop guidance

Started by poultrygeist on Poultry FAQs and other Information

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 17:45
by ElioraImmanuel
xx
Plucking and Dressing a Chicken for Cooking - with pictures

Started by Bodger on Poultry FAQs and other Information

24 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 19:39
by matron

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 56 queries.