Slow growing Basil

• 6 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Slow growing Basil
« on: May 19, 2020, 14:34 »
12 days ago my indoor seed tray of Basil germinated quite well, but for a good week now the seedlings have been stuck at the same height with just the 2 first leaves. I get them out into sun whenever possible, but the last few days have been iffy. Can anyone tell me if it is normal for Basil to be slow at first.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Slow growing Basil
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 16:04 »
Most plants have to pause immediately after they break through the surface to develop the roots to provide the nutrients and water for the shoots and leaves to come, and of course at this stage there is very little photosynthesis taking place to make food for the plant.

This is especially true for very tiny seeds (like Basil) which have virtually no food reserves to help out - plants with much larger seeds (like runner beans) barely pause at all in my experience.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 17:27 »
Thank you JayG, your explanation seems like flawless logic. These are the first small seeds I have tried, so please excuse my inexperience.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 17:48 »
These are the first small seeds I have tried, so please excuse my inexperience.

There isn't a single person on the planet who didn't start off that way!  ;)

Eugene

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 20:04 »
I've been growing basil for a few years now, It can be a little slow to get going, but it will. I find it does best in a slightly humid environment. I've grown it on an arid kitchen windowsill and the sun has dried and bleached its leaves quite badly, so sticking it in full sun perhaps isn't the best thing. The most success I've had with it was in a large terracotta pot, positioned under the shade of a tree receiving morning sun only. It grew like wildfire until around the end of September.

Good luck.

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 13:03 »
Again I thank the people for replying. I think I might have been lucky for the last week then, because of the general low sunlight. I have a tree that takes morning sun, and starting tomorrow I will give it a go in that position.

Carlh80

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 20:30 »
Glad I read this post as I am at the exact same stage as Russell. Good to know. Seems I’m going to have to learn some patience.
Also so it’s not a good idea to keep the seedlings on a window for the sun?

xx
growing basil

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2007, 18:08
by Trillium
xx
help growing basil

Started by lettice on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2013, 14:34
by J_B
xx
First time growing basil

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2018, 07:53
by AnneB
xx
Growing Toms & Basil togther?

Started by freebo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 19:18
by Trillium

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 36 queries.