Sharing my plot

Work alone
Should I carry on with the arrangement

Hello I'm new here

• 6 Replies

Fc123

Hello I'm new here
« on: January 13, 2019, 20:23 »
Hello I was looking for advice Iv had my plot for 18 months and I offered to share it in return for help with the work and running of the plot and also half the crops in return. The problem I have is for many months now I have been doing most if not all of the work and the hard graft I also pay for everything needed which isn't the problem but I'm not sore what I should do about this arrangement at present as it hardly seems very fair if I'm doing all the work alone as I often recieve many excuses. Any advice would be welcome

Nick-Bris

Re: Hello I'm new here
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 20:42 »
Hi.
Welcome. I’m new too.
Oh dear. I’m selfish and keeping my allotment to myself  ;)
Have you actually raised any of the issues with the other person?
Does he or she know that there are jobs to do and things to pay for?
If they are new to gardening, they might think (wrongly) that because it’s been Autumn or Winter that there isn’t anything going on.
I know we British are polite, but you need to be direct about what is expected.

Fc123

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 21:12 »
Hi,
Thanks for your reply yes I have raised jobs that need doing and things we need , Iv been working it alone since busy summer with help of probably a day or two since . They are experienced with gardening but I seem to encounter one excuse after another to not be able to help .i was wondering if maybe I should keep it to myself considering but it's difficult to know what to do .

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 11:12 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think its very difficult for anyone to advise you without knowing both of you, but if the arrangement isn't working for you and you feel put upon, I guess you have answered your own question in a way.

Allotments are hard work, but are also meant to be rewarding and enjoyable.  If that's not how you feel, you need to make your plot sharer aware of this and maybe draw a few lines in the sand.  If they can't commit to helping as much as you want, perhaps time to make a break before you risk your friendship.  Carrying on as things are and feeling even more put upon isn't a great option is it?

I hope you resolve matters one way or the other  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 17:31 »
It is, as others say, difficult to advise but in your position I'd be pretty annoyed.  Assuming that they are not officially a co-tenant, and that I'd given them what I felt were sufficient warnings that lack of action from them will lead to withdrawal of sharing rights, then I'd tell them it wasn't working out for me.

Either way, I'd decide what to do before they invest too much time or resources this season; or, give them one last chance with a clear warning about the expected level of input, and see what happens this season.

If the plot is too big for you on your own, is there a possibility of formally reducing it by half, for example?

PS Welcome to the website  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 16:58 »
My daughter shares one of her plots with another person, but it is actual divided, so she does one half and they do the other.   Maybe you could suggest this, you could say that you want to grow different things to their choices perhaps.   Good luck,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 18:36 »
Welcome to the site. I hope your problem is resolved soon.

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 51 queries.