Fox :( :( :(

• 5 Replies

asd1

• Experienced Member
Fox :( :( :(
« on: March 18, 2011, 23:13 »
Thursday morning got up at 5.30 as normal, let the hens out then went to have a shower....... At about 7.15 just before I left for work i went to change the water for then only to find one dead and two missing!!!!! A b****y fox had got Into the run! Broke one of the panels off the run ... I now have just three hens left :( lucky I have a week off work so can build them a new run and make it 100% fox proof. Was going to take the day off work but long story ( had to get a counselor into work due to a death) so I had to go in to cover. My dad and sister came and  fixed the run whilst I was a work and have made it fox proof for now. I feel horrible that I could do nothing to save them spent most of the day in tears ! I want to know do you think my hens are lonely now? Should I get so e more straight away or leave it for a bit first?   

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Fox :( :( :(
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 23:26 »
Adding hens is when you feel like it if im honest as long as there is more than one left.

You are not the first to loose hens to a fox and you wont be the last including myself.

Just make sure you are now foxy proofed (took me some realisation how cunning they are!)

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 00:02 »
There are 5 less in our area as a result of our allotment committe's action. I hate to think of any creature being disposed of but the huge increase numbers and the damage caused meant that action was the wisest choice.  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 06:45 »
Sorry for your loss xx

I agree with Min, as you still have more than one then get them when you are ready. Your others may go off lay for a bit as they will be in shock but with a bit of TLC they will be fine.

Now the fox has found your girls sadly he/she will be back so make sure their run is fully fox proof, a skirt around outside to prevent digging under (or dug 12 inches into the ground), made of weldmesh not chicken wire and of a decent thickness, high enough or with a roof on to prevent climbing over. either that or invest in electric fencing.
Staffies are softer than you think.

evie2

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 12:22 »
Sorry to hear about the fox attack asd, we lost our first 3 that way, they're just not scared by humans any more, I hope your other hens are not too traumatised  :(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 16:55 »
My hens seem pretty much fine now but I worry about them picking too much on the little one so have added as much interest to the run as I can for now and once I build a bigger one I will put as many different levels and things to do for them as I can

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 30 queries.