waiting list's

• 10 Replies

clive f

• Experienced Member
waiting list's
« on: February 27, 2009, 22:57 »
with waiting lists so long for allotments why do they let them get so overgrown befor reletting them ?  ???

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Re: waiting list's
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 07:25 »
Hi Clive,

I know what you mean. Up until recently we had the same problem here. Think the problem is that some people take on a huge plot, then find out its too much hard work and give up without letting the council or allotment association know. The first they know of it is when the time comes to collect the rent. By that time its covered in weeds. Its amazing that one years weed growth makes a plot look like it's not been touched for years. It's a pity that there isn't a better system in place to get these plots moved over more quickly. Not sure of an answer to this one. Maybe monthly rents? or a large deposit that you get back when you have made the plot tidy and handed it back.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:28 by Steve.P »
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

crowndale

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 08:04 »
one years weed growth can be a pain for several more years even if cultivated. I have the same gripe! waited 2 eyars for a plot and could see several disused or poorly used plots going begging.  I was lucky, got one with only about 6 months of summer weeds on it!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 08:42 »
Problem with my site is that there are a few project groups up there.
The groups come up to do some work then you don't see them again for months and months. They should be coming up there on a regular basis.
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

matron

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 09:08 »
I did wonder the same thing myself when I see some of your photos of your newly acquired plots. It would be nice if someone could come up with a better idea so that people who no longer want their plots can let those in charge know sooner.

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 09:43 »
We have an imperfect system but one that seems to be reaping some dividend at last. One person on the site is designated voluntary manager and acts as liaison with the council office in charge of lotties. She also re-lets vacant plots (when there are any (.  A number of people have persistently failed to cultivate for years but blatantly lie to the council that they are cultivating. The lovely Diana has reported back, they have been booted off and the plots re-let to people who have been waiting years. I think it’s an immoral waste to stop somebody from having a much needed plot just so you can thrown your garden rubbish on it and have a bonfire twice a year.
…. climbs down from soapbox…..
If you can't be an excellent example be a terrible warning...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 11:49 »
I was talking to a bloke yesterday at the site, and hed just taken a plot that hadnt been worked for FIVE years! How on earth can this happen when we have a 3 year three waiting list? It made my blood boil, as I myself had to wait 16months and I could have taken this plot. My sister is on the list and she is planning to email the council to find out how many plots have not been worked for over a year.Time will tell if she gets an answer!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Parsnip

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 18:30 »
We've just been up to ours today and we got chatting to the chairman of the committee..He say's he is about to throw people off that don't tend their plots because people want them. Having had loads of free plots before Christmas they are virtually all taken.. :ohmy:

Mine is a reclaimed one...and we've spent all afternoon trying to dig it but ended up clearing it... Well some of it anyway...It was being used as a dumping ground for ages..I quite enjoyed it actually, it was like a treasure hunt.. :lol:

beansticks

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 20:06 »
Our site is self managed,though owned by the local authority.We formed a new committee two years ago and if we see a plot being neglected without just cause the tenant gets a warning letter,if this is ignored then a second letter is sent,if this is also ignored then we will terminate their tenancy,though this tends to take a year to achieve.I am amazed why someone would take a plot and not cultivate it. :mad:

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 21:13 »
Our site is self managed,though owned by the local authority.We formed a new committee two years ago and if we see a plot being neglected without just cause the tenant gets a warning letter,if this is ignored then a second letter is sent,if this is also ignored then we will terminate their tenancy,though this tends to take a year to achieve.I am amazed why someone would take a plot and not cultivate it. :mad:

This our set up too. It works quite well. One thing we are discussing is spliting the rent into 6 month rather than a yearly invoice. We've had people who have several letters requesting payment before finally saying they don't require the plot. We would be able to re-lease the plot a lot quicker if we had known 6 months earlier that they didn't want it.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

yummy

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 22:57 »
I have no idea. My friend was on the list 6 months and got a plot today (not a bad wait really) however the plot is covered in grass and dead stuff that is 4ft high and there is nothing else growing on it. It must have been empty for ages and I wonder why they didn't give it to someone sooner? My mate, or someone else could have had it 5 months ago and cleared it so much more quickly.

xx
Allotment waiting list

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 21:10
by gobs
xx
Top of the waiting list. What can i do in the meantime?

Started by andimac on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 28, 2015, 08:38
by BumbleJo
xx
What to do whilst on a possibly very lengthy waiting list...

Started by Jaye on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 04, 2008, 23:19
by David.
xx
Waiting .....

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 13:10
by Lady Lottie

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 35 queries.