New (to you) veg you grew last year which you will/will not grow again this year

• 5 Replies

Flowertot

I grew 2 varieties of winter squash last year that I had not tried before - Crown Prince and Rouge vif d’Etampes. As I just ate the most delicious rich, velvety bowl of soup for lunch, I added Crown Prince to my seed list for this year. I can’t say the same for the Rouge - it is the most beautiful thing to look at but my family found it tasteless and watery. It may be that it isn’t like that when other better gardeners grow it, but for me at least, it’s definitely not on this year’s must-grow list.
I would be interested in what you tried last year and have given the thumbs up/down to this year.

al78

Buttonhole kale. Pretty, but not much use for eating. It is a pretty pretty thing rather than functional. Doubly annoying that I forgot to sow some curly kale which meant I had very little kale of any kind last year.

Kale walking stick. Another useless variety. I'm sticking to what I know this year.

Runner beans. I'm not overly keen on the taste and find French beans much nicer, so I'll stick to those.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
due time and various other things going on last year I stuck to what I knew and the staples, this year is different and I have a number of new vege's to grow so ask me again next year  ;)
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Last year I did well with new stuff.

I grew Kifli blight resistant spuds and have bought them again this year.  They are like a giant new potato, but are a main crop and store really well.

I also liked Trinidad Perfume peppers.  These are scotch bonnet style, but have warmth, rather that blow your head off heat, and that scotch bonnet fruitiness.  They were fantastic roasted with chicken or other veg.  Lipstick sweet peppers were another hit , as were Kaberi mini aubergines, which are the first aubergines from seed I have ever actually got a good crop from.  All 3 went into the propagator today.

Sharks fin melon will also reappear this year.  It is dead easy, super productive and all the savoury options I have tried so far have gone down well.  The final test is angel hair jam, which is on the 'to do' list.  I've been told its delicious, so I have high hopes  :)

spadework

Wonderberries - a little fiddly to pick but they went on and on picking into November. Good flavour cooked.

Turnip Armand - great for a late sowing still have some to harvest even now.

Green and while lobo radish. mild and juicy. (july sowing)

All of these I shall grow again alongside the old favourites and this years trial seeds. :)

rowlandwells

I tend to stick to the same varieties each year with the exception of new varieties that I get drawn into like onions an overwintering type Element cropped well from seed sown carel and savel as a salad onion hybound was another onion pelleted seed and several varieties of lettuce that I will go with again this season

but also on this years agenda will consist of some varieties of cabbage cauliflower and  potatoes  some new some varieties old varieties that I haven't gown before all on a trial basis

xx
What to grow now for later and next year

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 05:12
by DD.
xx
what will you grow this year?

Started by Azazello on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 15:54
by Yorkie
xx
Do you grow something new each year?

Started by MJS on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 19:55
by Grubbypaws
xx
What are you not going to grow next year?

Started by Stringbags on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post October 01, 2016, 17:51
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.591 seconds with 36 queries.