Unhappy hens

• 6 Replies

RICH_Chicken

Unhappy hens
« on: September 27, 2012, 16:02 »
Hello all,

I've had my new hens about 3 weeks now, they have started running to me when info to gate etc an coming to sit near me when I'm in pen! However I've been up today to sort them as usual and they are all running away from me flying around being really skittish the allotment is shared with a friend but that's the only other person who can see them! It's it me being silly or can they get frightened or scared can someone/thing spook them? To make them like this, I thought they were coming in fine until today now they can't run away quick enough? Any ideas

Rich_chicken
Rich_Chicken :)

Chrysalis

Re: Unhappy hens
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 18:04 »
Don't despair!  Hens are really dim and get spooked easily. :wub:
  Have you tried bribing them with greens or a handful of corn?  Just being calm and steady will help.  ;)
 If there's a lot of wind and things flapping about (such as plastic sheeting?) they'll get really silly.... :wacko:

I'm sure they're just growing up and that you'll have a lot of fun with them.... :)

RICH_Chicken

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 19:00 »
Thanks

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 19:09 »
You'll find that they also respond to changes in atmospheric pressure so when the "low" of the last few days appeared they would become excitable. It isn't just chooks which do this - ask any teacher of children.

splash101

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 19:25 »
my first chickens were like that.
I once walked by their pen with a cardboard box in my hand. The racket they made you would have thought i had the chopper in my hand.
ehs- i use to work in a school and we used to dread windy days, my horse and dog used to play up on windy days too.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 19:33 »
They sometimes don't like different colours so if you have a different coat on that could explain it.  Best to move slowly and talk calmly to them each time you approach them.  This way they will recognise you even if you are wearing something different.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 22:20 »
You'll find that they also respond to changes in atmospheric pressure so when the "low" of the last few days appeared they would become excitable. It isn't just chooks which do this - ask any teacher of children.

OH. yes. I dreaded windy and wet days. The kids were all over the place. :(

xx
Unhappy Hens

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 23:03
by DeadlyNightshade
xx
Unhappy :(

Started by kizza on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 11:35
by kizza
xx
Unhappy hen

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:45
by Wyandottie
xx
Unhappy hen?

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 16, 2017, 06:35
by ghost61

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.