compost dry

• 9 Replies

chrissie B

compost dry
« on: May 18, 2011, 22:33 »
hi all would it be OK to put some water on my compost it seems very dry , Ive got 2 on the go as we have just moved in here the old gent left me a complete one ready to use and one which we are leaving to mature for next year and its this one that's a bit dry so can i add a bit water and how much ??
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

fatcat1955

Re: compost dry
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 23:48 »
Watering is fine, but the amount depends on how big the bin is. I would empty it first and give it a good mix up then return to the bin. If you can get your hands on some nice fresh manure, put that in and it should start the process of heating up for you. At a guess i would say 1 bucket of water to a dalek size bin.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 09:15 »
get hubby to pee in a bucket and pour that in....it's a great compost activator :)

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 09:22 »
Failing that use your own wee (aka she-wee or lady water)  :D

I routinely water my compost as it helps build up a head of steam  :)

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 15:16 »
have heard the wee theory before and did ask but he said a definate no , i thought it had to be man wee ??   i think i will pull it out its an old whillie bin , the old bloke had a garden refuse contract with the council , i dont know the ins and outs but he refused to give back the bin saying he had paid for it so he made it into a composter so i have 2 to play with .
chrissie b

sion01

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 17:25 »
Failing that use your own wee (aka she-wee or lady water)  :D

I routinely water my compost as it helps build up a head of steam  :)

Does this mean you routinely wee on you'r compost :ohmy:

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 20:27 »
I just set my hose nozzle to gentle spray and dampen layers as I'm turning over the compost. Not enough to make it soggy, just lightly damp. Between moisture and air, it then heats up nicely.

mobilekat

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 13:49 »
I just set my hose nozzle to gentle spray and dampen layers as I'm turning over the compost. Not enough to make it soggy, just lightly damp. Between moisture and air, it then heats up nicely.

Having just read Trilliums comment after the one above I choked on my mug of tea, then realised there are 2 parallel discussions occurring (I think!!!)

Off to mop tea off my keyboard!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

catllar

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 20:48 »

Having just read Trilliums comment after the one above I choked on my mug of tea, then realised there are 2 parallel discussions occurring (I think!!!)

Off to mop tea off my keyboard!

Me too - very funny! :lol: :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 15:20 »
have heard the wee theory before and did ask but he said a definate no , i thought it had to be man wee ??   i think i will pull it out its an old whillie bin , the old bloke had a garden refuse contract with the council , i dont know the ins and outs but he refused to give back the bin saying he had paid for it so he made it into a composter so i have 2 to play with .
chrissie b
"Whillie bin"..."man wee"......... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Compost

Started by Batesy on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2018, 20:59
by Veg Plot 1B
xx
Compost Bin

Started by thecakebaker on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 09:10
by compostqueen
xx
Compost

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 26, 2022, 19:43
by New shoot
question
Compost

Started by tonydevine125 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 18:37
by RichardA

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 39 queries.