Haynes manual!

• 12 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Haynes manual!
« on: April 22, 2010, 21:17 »
I asked joyfull a few days ago how she gets to know so much about chickens and part of the answer was reading! Well, when I got my first ex-bats last year I bought Starting With Chickens but it didn't seem to cover very much so I bought the Chicken Health Handbook - which is great if you have a degree in veterinary science, but not so good for a beginner...

However, as I got so much practical information from my first Haynes manual (ironically for a BSA Bantam...) I decided to go ahead & order their latest offering, the Haynes Chicken Manual. Wow! It's so easy to read, full of information I wish I'd been able to get hold of last year, set out in typical Haynes fashion with clear photos and a logical order to its content. I've read a lot of it already and am sure I'll be able to put it to really good use - although I don't think I'll be stripping my girls down to mend them like I did all those years ago with my Bantam.....

Oh, if you check out Amazon it's just over 1/2 rrp at the moment, bargain!

calamityjane77

Re: Haynes manual!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 21:43 »
Thanks so much for this have just reserved it from the library. I need all the help I can get!! :)

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 13:24 »
Sounds great.  Have just ordered it from my local library but also put it in my basket on Amazon.  I just put it Chicken Manual in the Amazon search and got a totally different book about chicken health etc.  I am glad I double checked and put in Haynes Chicken Manual as it then came up with the book you mention. Can't wait to see it. :)
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

birds in a basket

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 14:35 »
Thanks for the review!  Have seen it advertised and wondered if it was worth getting.  Shall also order one from Amazon.  ;)
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 15:09 »
Just got an email from my library saying the Haynes Chicken manual is in - can't wait to collect it tomorrow and see what its like.

carolbriar

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 18:45 »
Got my copy of this book today and I think it is a great book for any chicken keeper.  Well worth buying.

birds in a basket

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 19:11 »
My copy came today too!  Brilliant, good piccies (always good for me as I need idiot's guide type stuff) and covers a lot of things very simply that my other books don't.  :blush: :blush:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 19:49 »
I've got one.

Excellent book. Very comprehensive - very clear - Great pictures.

Well done Haynes :D

carolbriar

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 19:54 »
The copy I got was from the library but have just ordered it at Amazon while it was a good price!  I thought there was a lot of information which would be very useful in the book especially about problem solving with ailments etc.  When I collected my book from the library I noticed they had a Haynes manual for horses!

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 21:58 »
Hey, at this rate I think I ought to tap Haynes for some commission! Great to know my recommendation was worth taking time out to submit :-)

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 22:17 »
My oh ordered me a copy too, Great book. Thanks for sharing

Elcie

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 10:23 »
I am going to order this too.  Thank you for the advice about it.  I think it will be useful to see the photos along with the advice.

richardh5678

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 22:12 »
Well, If I had not read this thread I would have had no idea.  I've had Haynes manuals for all sorts of cars since I had my first mini van, have ones for lawnmowers, washing machine, bought one on'man' (mens health) as a pressie, welding, brakes...
Now it looks like I will be extending my library yet again.
Must say they are all of a consistantly high easy to read style, without being patronising.
Off to place my order...
richard

xx
Haynes Chicken Manual

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 09:21
by carolbriar

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 39 queries.