small seeds

• 6 Replies

Allan-25J

small seeds
« on: April 10, 2019, 21:33 »
I am having trouble growing plants from small seeds. 3 packs of different variety of Leeks, 1 of Celeriac  and 2 of  Cabbage. The packs are new and the seeds have been sown in 3 instalments by different depths using wilko and JI no1 seed soil.

The large seed broad and dwarf beans, mini pop corn, and courgettes have all grown well.

The Tomatoes and early Brussels are doing well and they have had the same water as the 3 types in the first paragraph.

Any suggestions or hints and tips will be warmly received.

Mr Dog

Re: small seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 22:13 »
I've always been under the impression that celeriac (and celery) needs light to germinate so I simply sprinkle mine over the surface of the compost and don't cover. Leeks and cabbages go in around 1/2" down. My experience of leek and onion seed is that they go 'off' quicker than virtually any other seed and that despite being a fresh packet they may not actually be that fresh......
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 22:17 by Mr Dog »

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 22:16 »
I understood (perhaps wrongly) that a reasonable rule of thumb is that seed should be covered by about as much as the size of the seed itself so very small seeds either need no cover or very very light cover.  there's also the light issue of course.

Adri
Peak Hives

crh75

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 08:36 »
Could it be a germination temperature issue?

Allan-25J

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 19:29 »
thanks for the input guys

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 12:37 »
suggestion for you....

I have this year tried the Armish way with my leeks and germination has been to say brill, took approx 3 days or them to sprut, sown and now racing away, I have also used this on my onion seeds and have had the same success.
I have this year (drum roll please) pre-chitted them, put them in a chinesse take away tub, damp kitchen paper and popped seeds in lid on and placed somewhere warm (under the bathroom radiator).
The Amish pre-chit most hard seeds.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 09:44 »
I find this method works well for brassica seeds:
Take some multi-purpose compost, add about a fifth by volume of perlite or vermiculite and a light dusting (like icing sugar on a cake) of lime. Mix well.
Fill a half seed tray or a small pot and firm it slightly
Water well and then drain (I float the half seed tray in a full tray of water)
Thinly scatter the seeds on the surface and then lightly pat them with a finger so the seed is in good contact with the compost - not pressing it too hard though.
Thinly cover with vermiculite - just enough that the surface of the compost is hardly visible.
Place in a propagator at 20ºC - optimum germination rate is achieved between 10º and 25º
Once the seedlings are about 3cm high, prick out into 3" pots. I like a mix of 50/50 by volume of multi-purpose and John Innes No2 with a little lime added. I plant deeper than they were in the seed tray, about half way up the seedlings stem.
Harden off gradually and plant out when a reasonable size. If club-root is a problem, it can pay to move into a larger pot to allow better root development .
There's information that will help here:

Optimum Germination Temperatures

Growing Brassicas

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Small tomatoes, small success?

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 10:17
by Mike.white
xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
how small are yours

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 10:22
by rugbymad40
xx
How to keep trees small

Started by allotmentann on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 09:26
by lacewing

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 45 queries.