Cat poo - GRRRR!!!

• 18 Replies

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
Cat poo - GRRRR!!!
« on: March 28, 2019, 20:08 »
New allotment appears to be the neighbourhood feline latrine...

So as a start I've bought a roll of chicken wire netting and will attempt to cover the ground where the cats seem to favour.

My idea is to prop up the chicken wire a couple of inches off the ground so as to make it tricky to walk across.  Just do patches propped up on sticks where necessary.

Any ideas on improvements to this?

TIA

Adri
Peak Hives

oldgrunge

Re: Cat poo - GRRRR!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 20:22 »
My sympathies, it's really annoying. I do much the same as you, plus, I also use my old raspberry canes criss crossed over the soil. I have a couple of ultra sonic cat repellents, but not too sure about their effectiveness.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 20:46 »
You could try a shotgun - but this might upset one or two neighbours! Pepper spray sometimes works. but anything prickly also seems to work - holly bush trimmings, bramble cuttings etc. I don't seem to be troubled by cats (although I see some around) but more by foxes who will dig holes in raised beds, even when are covered by fleece ( the beds not the foxes). Chicken wire seems to work ok laid over the beds, but you need quite a lot of wire.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 00:19 »
I do realise how annoying it is. We've 3 acres and our cats make my raised beds their litter trays. On the plus side, apart from being dearly loved pets, they're our rodent and rabbit control operatives. Without them we'd be over run.
The only effective method of stopping them toileting I've found is to cover the bed with fleece or grass mulch.
I would ask people to remember, annoying as it is - cats are not like dogs. They go where they will and do what they want. But their 'owners' love them dearly.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 08:01 »
We are not too troubled at the plot, although a few cats roam around in there.  At home I use barriers on my raised beds.  A couple are covered by plastic coated wire mesh, but this is fairly expensive.  I just had some left from another job.  The rest are plastic mesh fencing.

I had to fence quite a big area on the plot for crops the muntjac deer eat, if grown on open ground.  I bought a large roll on-line from a company called Sure-Green and it worked out a lot cheaper per metre than any other option.  It needs pegging down if used on the soil surface.  I use metal tent pegs, also bought on line.  The plastic is easy to cut, so you can make planting holes, it doesn't rust or seem to rub too much against crops and it lasts for years.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 09:10 »
We are not troubled by cats at the plot as we are no where near any dwellings, so sadly their rodent reducing powers are not in use there  ;)

However, at home we have local cats who use our lawns as a toiiet, both back and front of the house I find that a sprinkling of disinfectant around the place helps deter them, after clearing up, as does chilli powder. If any is missed, it makes mowing the lawn a horrid experience.  I have an electronic deterrent, so I can inly think there is a deaf cat around!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 14:56 »
I have three cats who particularly like the newly-dug soil in my veg and greenhouse beds. I use clematis netting like adri and tie it onto some small canes so it's just high enough off the ground to let seeds and things grow but they can't get at it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 16:11 »
Chicken wire in place.

Quite like the topic suggestions at the bottom of the page....all things GRRRR!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 16:13 »
Newly prepared beds are most cats' latrine of choice, so I chuck chicken netting over the area - although I've had my chicken netting for years it still retains some of the curvature from when it was rolled up, so it doesn't lie flat - not found a local cat prepared to walk over it to do its business...yet!

Now, as for what I think is just one local moggie that likes to defy convention by crapping on my back lawn, all I can say is that I've not found a way of dissuading it, but these days I do look very carefully before using the strimmer round the edges (enough said! :ohmy:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 20:20 »
water pistol !

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 00:31 »
As some of you have mentioned, it is done by your own pets, and you love them dearly  --  but for those of us who do not own pets and have to put up with others who visit, it is absolutely disgusting  :mad:   I have used clematis type mesh in black or brown (because cosmetically it doesn't show against the earth)  and secured it with metal U shaped pegs which are pegging down matting etc.
You can buy a large bag of them in B&Q for a couple of pounds.   I also use lion poo - they don't like that !  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 01:13 »
I appreciate what you say, Mrs Bouquet but just 2 points - cats are basically uncontrollable and they do actually help keep pests down, although they do harm the bird population.
Disgusting as cat poo is, it's not actually as harmful as rat pee which carries disease. Which is small consolation, I know.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 19:29 »
I appreciate what you say, Mrs Bouquet but just 2 points - cats are basically uncontrollable and they do actually help keep pests down, although they do harm the bird population.
Disgusting as cat poo is, it's not actually as harmful as rat pee which carries disease. Which is small consolation, I know.

Toxoplasmosis is a danger to folk with a weakened immune system though, so best not to come into direct contact with it really

al78

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 19:45 »

This is irrelevant. The question is how to deal with the cat emptying its bowels on your plot, not advocating we get rid of all feline pets, and saying it is not as bad as something else is a far too overused logical fallacy.

To address the issue, I have found that cutting bramble branches and laying them on areas you don't want cats digging up and defecating on. They get a sharp non-lethal request to find somewhere else.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 19:48 by al78 »

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 20:00 »

This is irrelevant. The question is how to deal with the cat emptying its bowels on your plot, not advocating we get rid of all feline pets, and saying it is not as bad as something else is a far too overused logical fallacy.
Thus spake the professor of predicate logic from the university of Vulcan  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

xx
GRRRR I got to have a rant :(

Started by Swee'pea on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 21:26
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Grrrr BLIGHT.

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 21:58
by NASH
xx
No Parsnips! grrrr

Started by GrannieAnnie on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 15:21
by snowdrops
xx
more sweetcorn problems! grrrr

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 11:10
by andyf75

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 56 queries.